• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Electric toothbrushes, which one?

rocklover

rocklover

Hi,

I want to purchase an electric toothbrush to improve my oral hygiene, but I am a little non-plussed by the sheer amount that are available.

So, can anyone please advise what features I need to be looking out for in an electric toothbrush and also any specific recommendations would be appreciated.

I am in the UK by the way.

Thanks

As far as I know the only ones with proper (Cochrane) research behind them are the rotary Oral B type ones - they are really good. There's no need to go for the sonic ones and the small round brush heads are best not the elongated ones.
This kind of thing:

oral-b-advanced-power-900-toothbrush.jpg

You can get a higher model if you prefer but stick to the small round brushheads. I personally like the models with the built in holders for the brushheads.

I recently purchased an Oral B electric thootbrush, with a 2 minute timer on it. It was about £30, but its centainly been money well spent.

Back