• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Embarrased and worried

V

vince1

I'm sure you've all read something similar to this before but I thought if I type it out it might make me feel better. I used to have regular dental check up's up until I was about 19 then stopped going and just got out of the habit. Also I have to admit I was never really a fan of going due to the pain and also someone poking about inside your mouth. In addition I got the impression my Dentist was being a preachy but that just could be my imagination.

Anyway long story short I haven't been in about 8 years and now in the past week I've found my gums really sore plus I've noticed over the past couple of years my already crooked teeth have got a lot worse. I'm worried about the pain of what will have to be done to them and also a little embarrassed due to not having regular check up's and for the last couple of years drinking far too many sugary drinks so basically my teeth are in a bad way through my stupidity. Anyway I've cut out the fizzy drink this year and am tempted to go to the dentist. Sorry for the long winded post

Hey Vince!! Most of us have gone through exactly what you are going through right now...I can tell you, I have found a great dentist--they are out there..and even though I am experiencing the same old fears, my dentist is doing everything she possibly can to help me get through it and to see dentistry in a different light.

Anyway, even though I don't like it, I am soooooo glad I have chosen to go to the dentist!!! I don't think the dentist could be surprised by any condition of your teeth--they have seen it all...and just tell them your fears---I think you most likely will find them very sympathetic. If not, find one who is. It's great when you do...

So my advice---just do it!!! You will be always glad that you did...better now than never!!!

Hey Vince.

I was in the same boat as you. If I'm honest I was a bit scared going to the dentist. I explained my fears to my dentist, and I was put at ease. Everytime I have something done, I have a local anesthetic which makes the process pain-free.

Seriously, go to a dentist today before you get anymore pain. I have taken everything I could think of, and it has no effect. I was so distressed a few weeks ago, I took a handful (about 8 tablets in total - stupid thing to do) of paracetamol and ibuprofen, and it had 0 effect. I'm back to the hospital in a few hours, as I'm still in pain. I had a wisdom tooth which had rotted away removed yesterday, but I still have an extreme pain which can only be controlled by drinking cold water every 20 seconds. I think I need another tooth removed (I'm pretty sure it's another exposed nerve) which would make 5 in a period of 4 months.

I've gotten to the point where I need to cry due to the pain. My biggest fear is going tomorrow and being told I need to come back the following day. I honestly don't think I can last another 24 hours with this pain. I feel like there is only one option, and it's crazy to think like that, but I have gotten to the point where in my head, it does not sound so bad. At least I would not need to suffer in this pain.

My body is somewhat cold due to all the water I need to control the pain, but yeah, go to a dentist asap :(

Last edited:
Back