• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is very afraid of dentistry or who suffers with dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a general dental forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Embarrased and worried

V

vince1

I'm sure you've all read something similar to this before but I thought if I type it out it might make me feel better. I used to have regular dental check up's up until I was about 19 then stopped going and just got out of the habit. Also I have to admit I was never really a fan of going due to the pain and also someone poking about inside your mouth. In addition I got the impression my Dentist was being a preachy but that just could be my imagination.

Anyway long story short I haven't been in about 8 years and now in the past week I've found my gums really sore plus I've noticed over the past couple of years my already crooked teeth have got a lot worse. I'm worried about the pain of what will have to be done to them and also a little embarrassed due to not having regular check up's and for the last couple of years drinking far too many sugary drinks so basically my teeth are in a bad way through my stupidity. Anyway I've cut out the fizzy drink this year and am tempted to go to the dentist. Sorry for the long winded post

K

K-Bird

Hey Vince!! Most of us have gone through exactly what you are going through right now...I can tell you, I have found a great dentist--they are out there..and even though I am experiencing the same old fears, my dentist is doing everything she possibly can to help me get through it and to see dentistry in a different light.

Anyway, even though I don't like it, I am soooooo glad I have chosen to go to the dentist!!! I don't think the dentist could be surprised by any condition of your teeth--they have seen it all...and just tell them your fears---I think you most likely will find them very sympathetic. If not, find one who is. It's great when you do...

So my advice---just do it!!! You will be always glad that you did...better now than never!!!

K

Kareem

Hey Vince.

I was in the same boat as you. If I'm honest I was a bit scared going to the dentist. I explained my fears to my dentist, and I was put at ease. Everytime I have something done, I have a local anesthetic which makes the process pain-free.

Seriously, go to a dentist today before you get anymore pain. I have taken everything I could think of, and it has no effect. I was so distressed a few weeks ago, I took a handful (about 8 tablets in total - stupid thing to do) of paracetamol and ibuprofen, and it had 0 effect. I'm back to the hospital in a few hours, as I'm still in pain. I had a wisdom tooth which had rotted away removed yesterday, but I still have an extreme pain which can only be controlled by drinking cold water every 20 seconds. I think I need another tooth removed (I'm pretty sure it's another exposed nerve) which would make 5 in a period of 4 months.

I've gotten to the point where I need to cry due to the pain. My biggest fear is going tomorrow and being told I need to come back the following day. I honestly don't think I can last another 24 hours with this pain. I feel like there is only one option, and it's crazy to think like that, but I have gotten to the point where in my head, it does not sound so bad. At least I would not need to suffer in this pain.

My body is somewhat cold due to all the water I need to control the pain, but yeah, go to a dentist asap :(

Last edited: