• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Embarrassed after 14 years without care

F

facingfears

I have been in a world of a mess with my teeth, keeping it a secret from everyone that I haven't visited the dentist in 14 years. Some kind of kick-in-the-a$$ intervention from the universe stepped in last weekend, and now I have my first appointment tomorrow. Gradually over the last several years, I have noticed my teeth getting yellower and visible spots of plaque showing up on them. In the last few months, I noticed one of my molars was tender at times when I brushed it. Otherwise I haven't been in any pain or discomfort. I started to smile less due to the embarrassment and started talking in a way where I was trying to hide my teeth. I hated being outdoors with others, fearing they might notice how gross my teeth looked. I stopped smiling with exposed teeth in pictures. How did I get here?: Since my last cleaning all those years ago, I went off my parent's health insurance and didn't have dental coverage. With student loans to pay, I couldn't afford the cost of cleaning. Then, as the years went on, I started to become so full of shame for not going for cleanings, that this prevented me even further from seeing a dentist. I just felt so embarrassed, full of regret, and didn't want to get "in trouble" with a dentist. So I neglected it and put it out of my mind. Now at present day: Last weekend one of the veneers on one of my front teeth popped off while eating. It doesn't appear to be broken, and fortunately I didn't swallow it. These veneers are 16-years-old, so I don't know if they will need to be replaced or the one that fell off can be reattached. Knowing I couldn't hide from these issues any longer, I am being forced to finally see a dentist. This morning I contacted a dental practice many of my friends go to. I sent them an email breaking down all my issues. They got back to me in 20 minutes with the nicest response that was encouraging. They said that they will address the veneer first tomorrow since it's more urgent (i currently have dental wax on it, and it's hard to eat). Then I will get xrays and a cleaning on Wednesday that they scheduled extra time for. I have spent time crying and panicking imagining someone actually looking inside my mouth, but I no longer have a choice. I know this will be way better in the long run. This is the hardest step. But I'm worried about all that they will find. I wouldn't be surprised if I set a record for most cavities, if I need an extraction and then an implant. Need new veneers. Got knows what else. I've been spiraling. Discovering this website and reading the stories of others has helped me get through the day. Thanks to everyone who has shared their story. I hope mine can help others and will update this when I have more to share.

On my way to my appointment. Trying to get the tears out now, so I can hold it together once I’m there.

Checked in at front desk. Started crying while talking to receptionist. Oh boy. Good thing I have a mask on to disguise myself a little bit.

Good luck, hope everything goes well :)

@Kml1998 Thank you so much! I feel so lucky to have found a great community in you all.

I am just leaving the dentist now. I cried to the receptionist, the hygienist, and the dentist. They were are a team of super empathetic women who made me feel so cared for and understood. I was able to tell my story through teary eyes. And then they laid me back and looked at my teeth. Once the process started going, I was given words of encouragement throughout. They were able to reattach the veneer. I am so lucky. While the veneer was cleaned, they cleaned my teeth and took X-rays. They found i need an overlay on a back molar after seeing an old filling was cracked w cavity underneath. I have a cavity on another molar I need to have filled. Then will get fitted for a night guard to help w grinding of my teeth. This work will be done as soon as possible. There was some staining on my teeth that was cleaned off. My mouth feels so much better after it! All-in-all I feel so lucky. The stress building up to this was far, far, far worse than actually going. This has been a huge life lesson to me. More soon once I go to the appointment for the overlay. Signing off with a huge sense of relief I took that first step. Phew!

The stress part is the killer isn't it? It gets easier with every visit. Had 5 so far, don't think I'm even worried anymore. Hopefully goes similarly for you. I've even bought myself a nice electric toothbrush and water flosser now, determined to have good dental hygiene going forward.

Back