• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Embarrassed

R

Rachalix

I’ve wrote in before about a tooth that snapped at the gum line years ago, I did go see the dentist and she referred me for sedition but the waiting list is really long & with covid I suspect it’ll be a long wait. The gum has a tiny hole but leaks pus everyday I’m absolutely terrified it’s going to kill me & I’m going to leave my 3 children without a mother ? I’m so scared to phone my own dentist as I don’t want to feel like a pest & im scared what they’ll think but I just want this root out it’s ruining my life cause it’s all I worry about

I'm so sorry you are scared and having problems. If you are able to afford a private dentist, many are now open and offering sedation. Bupa dentists and Portman Dental both have surgeries in Yorkshire and I think most of them have sedation as an option. I have been to the Portman one in York in the past and they were great, very gentle and understanding.

I’m so scared to phone my own dentist as I don’t want to feel like a pest & im scared what they’ll think but I just want this root out it’s ruining my life cause it’s all I worry about

Hi Rachalix,

just for me to understand your situation a bit better. What exactly would you like to arrange with your dentist if you weren't so scared what they'll think and if you didn't feel like a pest?

In the meantime, to stabilize your worries about dying and give you realistic information about how tooth inflammation work and how they don't, here is a link to our FAQ. I know you read it once in April, but it may be a good thing to read it again. You wouldn't believe how many people have similar fears and sometimes we get too lost in them, forgetting the facts.

All the best wishes

I’m terrified of the dentist hence why I’m in this situation ? I did pluck up the courage and had 2 roots pulled before all this virus but since then it’s knocked me back and made me scared all over again I rang a few weeks back and they gave me antibiotics for the pus oozing but it didn’t stop so rang back again and she said unless it swells they don’t want to give me another course ? they got me in and done an X-ray on the root and sent it off to the other dentist as I have it done under sedation and my own dentist doesn’t do sedation but they’ve said I’m on a waiting list and don’t know when I’ll be seen. The waiting and not knowing is making me worse if I had a date atleast I’d be able to tell myself right it’ll be sorted soon but I don’t and I feel as tho it’s going to kill me before I even get the chance to have it pulled. I want to phone my own dentist and see if she will be able to pull it even without the sedation as I’m that worried I’d go without but after she’s gone to the bother of referring me I don’t want to pester her and I don’t even know if she’ll be able to get it out with it been completely covered by gum Sorry if I’m not making much sense I’m not really good at explaining ?

I'm so sorry you are scared and having problems. If you are able to afford a private dentist, many are now open and offering sedation. Bupa dentists and Portman Dental both have surgeries in Yorkshire and I think most of them have sedation as an option. I have been to the Portman one in York in the past and they were great, very gentle and understanding.
I usually have it done under sedation but I can’t afford to go private especially at this time of the year ?

Bless you, I know how hard this time of year is. Others will have better suggestions for you, but please know that you are not alone.

It wouldn’t hurt to phone your dentist and ask if she’d be able to remove it. Please give them a call - it will ease your anxiety a little hopefully.

I’ll try and phone in the morning will let you all know if they remove it

I want to phone my own dentist and see if she will be able to pull it even without the sedation as I’m that worried I’d go without but after she’s gone to the bother of referring me I don’t want to pester her and I don’t even know if she’ll be able to get it out with it been completely covered by gum Sorry if I’m not making much sense I’m not really good at explaining ?

You're making perfect sense, thanks for the explanation. It sounds very plausible to say "I wanted sedation and I am really scared, but now as the waiting list is so long I realized I really would like to have the tooth out soon and would be willing to try it without sedation."

To put your mind at ease, referring patients is what a dentist does all the time. If patients asking for appointments / referrals / changing their mind was a bother for the dental stuff, they would feel annoyed basically all the day, because these things are a huge part of the job!

All the best wishes and let us know how the call went.:grouphug:

I couldn’t pluck up the courage to phone but I’ve sent them an email instead explaining ??

She’s gave me an appointment for the 16th & she’s going to try and remove the tooth ? although I’m terrified I’m excited ?

Just thought I’d update you all I’ve been for my appointment for the root pulling & it’s out ?? she had to cut my gum but I’m so happy it’s out thank you for all your support

Congratulations, that's wonderful news ?!! Thanks for the update!

Congrats and well done! :jump::jump::jump: