• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Emergency advice needed - due to speak to crown technician this evening..Help!

M

mrspeeps

Emergency advice needed - due to speak to crown technician this evening..Help!

Hi everyone

I am looking for advice asap!

I am having my two front teeth crowned. I have regrets about entering into this procedure without having researched my options further so I understand I am at fault here.

I am due to speak to the dental technician who is making my crowns on the phone this evening. I have concerns about my dentist's advice re appropriate dental work for me.

Backstory bit: I've nice teeth in general (braces as a teen so my teeth are straight with a good, shapely gumline). However, teeth are rather yellow (uneducated guess, I'd say they would be A4/A5 if indeed that shade exists!) from smoking (don't smoke anymore). Two front ones a bit damaged and discoloured. One particularly so as I damaged it in an accident and partially knocked it out. It was about two or three shades darker than the rest. The other front one wasn't far behind.

I went to dentist looking to cap the front ones to a) fix them and b) make my smile whiter by a good margin. Not artificial, but not yellow if that makes sense. I agreed to bleaching all teeth except two front ones being crowned. I, perhaps innocently, believed that when he suggested bleaching this would lighten my teeth more than two shades! Basically, I would like to see enough of a difference to warrant the amount of money being handed over.

Teeth still looked yellow to me a few hours after process which is when doubts crept in. I saw dentist the next day and we spoke about my fears. I don't have the money to cap the neighbouring teeth as I am getting the best crowns made (no point getting unrealistic looking texture ones I believe).

i was told that i didn't need my remaining teeth capped as they were lovely shape etc. and I could take home bleaching trays to bring them up another 3/4 shade. On the advice of my dentist, fears were assuaged enough to lie back and go for it. I'm now wearing temp crowns in front and they look ok (still tinge yellow but not too bad).

My concerns relate to when I get my perm crowns and i will have relatively nice front teeth and the rest quickly go back to their yellow shade. i will have patchwork teeth!

So, can i, in a few months, have composite veneers or lumineers fixed to the tooth either side of my front teeth to match my A1/A2 crowns? Would it be pointless to have cheaper materials put on beside expensive crowns? I just do not want to have to bleach my already sensitive teeth every six months!

I received an email from dental lab tech who is very kind and forwarded me details on bleaching. I have already had this done so I would like to have advice here before I speak to him in a few hours. Thank you for reading this looong note!

kind regards :)

Re: Emergency advice needed - due to speak to crown technician this evening..Help!

When I bleach teeth I wait at least a few weeks for shade to settle down prior to selecting shade.
When bleaching you remove pigment more than whitening teeth so a certain grey value stays and the yellow-brown is removed.
YES you can place veneers to match crowns but it is more difficult but absolutely can be done.
Stay longer in temps don't rush treatment.

Back