• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Emergency Dental Appt!

SXB1962

SXB1962

Well... my lower next-to-back left molar has been giving me some discomfort for weeks... I'd planned to have it seen to on April 6th. Yesterday it started hurting REALLY badly!!! I can feel pain in the area under my jawline directly below the pesky molar. :o

SO! This morning (about 6.30!) I phoned the local emergency dental hot-line (or whatever it's called). A telephonist took basic details and said a health professional would phone me back, which did happen thankfully! I gave even more details and was made an appt for 1.45 this afternoon at a not-too-far away health centre.

I am hoping that the little bugger will be extracted. It's more filling than tooth! Most of the filling being the temporary one I've had for months. My biggest fear of course, is the septicaemia. I'm feeling pretty light-headed and mildly feverish as it is...

Anyway, wish me luck! I'll be leaving here in a couple of hours and am really looking forward to this horrible pain and sickly feeling going. :)

Sorry you are in pain, SXB, good luck today.

rp

Just got back from my appt. I don't want to go into too much detail, but let's just say the tooth needed to come out and it did. Easily! It was so loose! Lots of, er, pus too... Yuk!

Now it's a case of waiting for my mouth to come back to life! I feel a lot better for having got rid of the infection. :)

I REALLY hope I have no more trouble with my lowers - I do NOT want a lower denture! :o

Hey SXB-

I know what you mean about not wanting bottom dentures. I hear they are MUCH harder to adjust to than the top!! Unfortunately for me, I need at least a partial, cuz I have NO bottom molars at all!! But at least I will have teeth for a bottom partial to anchor to to help keep it in place!! All in the front, but better than nothing, right!!!???!!!

Best of luck to you -
I too hope that you don't need a bottom denture!!!!!

Hey SXB-

I know what you mean about not wanting bottom dentures. I hear they are MUCH harder to adjust to than the top!! Unfortunately for me, I need at least a partial, cuz I have NO bottom molars at all!! But at least I will have teeth for a bottom partial to anchor to to help keep it in place!! All in the front, but better than nothing, right!!!???!!!

Best of luck to you -
I too hope that you don't need a bottom denture!!!!!

Thanks bumpthumper! :)

I'm sure bottom dentures are a lot easier to keep in place when you've got teeth to anchor them. You'll be fine I'm sure. :)

I have ten bottom teeth. The four incisors and two canines are in perfect health! Strong and solid and not a cavity in sight! I have one molar on each side and one premolar each side too. All of them feel and look fine. I'm sure I can get by perfectly well with this arrangement. ;D

My face is still pretty swollen from yesterday - it's not as painful as when the abscessed tooth was there, but it's still a little sore. Should improve soon with any luck, plenty of salt water and pain meds! ;D

I'm getting to be an old hand at this! :o

I'm glad it went well for you:)

I'm glad it went well for you:)

Thanks Gummy ('Yummy' yet? ;D) Mummy! All seems to be settling down now, thankfully.

Just a case of waiting for the socket to heal. We ALL know what that's like! ;D

Good job on getting that nasty tooth taken care of so quickly sxb, sounds like the rest of your bottom teeth plan on being around a long time!

Thanks RP. It was pretty quickly taken care of I have to say. My bottom teeth are here to stay as far as I'm concerned. ;D

I missed this yesterday. I'm glad you've gotten it all taken care of and can focus on healing now.

Way to get in there and get things done! :jump:

You're a pro at this now... you're feeling pain... you attack the pain... fear out the window... good for you.. I'm very happy that you took control and didn't let the pain hide you in the back of the line... you took control. I'm very proud of you. Inspiration to us all. Keep up posted.
You have a beautiful smile by the way......

JP

Thanks Gummy ('Yummy' yet? ;D) Mummy! All seems to be settling down now, thankfully.

Just a case of waiting for the socket to heal. We ALL know what that's like! ;D

No, a long way off being yummy, when hubby saw dentist on Weds he said he doesn't want to see me for at least another 4 weeks as he said I had a lot of sepsis and I have a lot of sockets to heal (no kidding!!!) But he may be seeing me today as I think I have an infection:cry:.

I missed this yesterday. I'm glad you've gotten it all taken care of and can focus on healing now.

Way to get in there and get things done! :jump:

Thanks Cielo. :) Everything's healing up nicely...

<GROSS STUFF WARNING!!!>

My socket seems to be oozing pus from the abscess and forming a 'skin' of, er, solidified pus! :o:o:o This is perfectly normal I guess - the pus just doesn't disappear when the abscessed tooth is removed, of course. It has to come out somewhere. Thankfully, I don't think my breath smells like a dead sheep... or does it?!?!! :o;D:o;D

You're a pro at this now... you're feeling pain... you attack the pain... fear out the window... good for you.. I'm very happy that you took control and didn't let the pain hide you in the back of the line... you took control. I'm very proud of you. Inspiration to us all. Keep up posted.
You have a beautiful smile by the way......

JP

Well... before all this "teeth-out and dentures-in" business I had quite a bit of experience of pain... I've had Crohn's Disease since I was 22... THAT is pain! Thankfully, it's been settled down (more or less) for the last few years. :):):)

Thanks for the nice words JP. :):):)

No, a long way off being yummy, when hubby saw dentist on Weds he said he doesn't want to see me for at least another 4 weeks as he said I had a lot of sepsis and I have a lot of sockets to heal (no kidding!!!) But he may be seeing me today as I think I have an infection:cry:.

God, I hope not. I HATE infections! Because of my Crohn's (mentioned elsewhere on this thread) I have terrible trouble taking oral antibiotics - they irritate my ultra-sensitive innards terribly (IV antibiotics are fine of course). So infections are a BIG problem for me...

Strange that your dentist doesn't want to see because you have a lot sepsis?! :o I'd have thought it was a dentist's job to see to people with such problems!

I'm sure you'll wake up one morning and think to yourself... "You know, I AM a Yummy Mummy!" ;D;D;D And I bet it won't be much longer either!

Psst... Lemme tell you a secret - I'm beginning to think I'm now actually quite, er, handsome! ;D;D;D What with the nice smile and the new slimline look as a result of modified diet! Keep it to yourself though. I wouldn't want anyone thinking I was being immodest! ;););)

Thanks Cielo. :) Everything's healing up nicely...

<GROSS STUFF WARNING!!!>

My socket seems to be oozing pus from the abscess and forming a 'skin' of, er, solidified pus! :o:o:o This is perfectly normal I guess - the pus just doesn't disappear when the abscessed tooth is removed, of course. It has to come out somewhere. Thankfully, I don't think my breath smells like a dead sheep... or does it?!?!! :o;D:o;D

It may not be pus at all, SXB. Sometimes the extraction sites will skin over with a greenish/grayish, icky-looking goo that does look a lot like pus. As long as it feels okay and there's no "dead sheep" taste, you're doin' good!

When I had all my extractions done, some of them looked really gruesome a few days out, so I think I know what you're seeing. :)

God, I hope not. I HATE infections! Because of my Crohn's (mentioned elsewhere on this thread) I have terrible trouble taking oral antibiotics - they irritate my ultra-sensitive innards terribly (IV antibiotics are fine of course). So infections are a BIG problem for me...

Strange that your dentist doesn't want to see because you have a lot sepsis?! :o I'd have thought it was a dentist's job to see to people with such problems!

I'm sure you'll wake up one morning and think to yourself... "You know, I AM a Yummy Mummy!" ;D;D;D And I bet it won't be much longer either!

Psst... Lemme tell you a secret - I'm beginning to think I'm now actually quite, er, handsome! ;D;D;D What with the nice smile and the new slimline look as a result of modified diet! Keep it to yourself though. I wouldn't want anyone thinking I was being immodest! ;););)

Hi, yes it is an infection and I have another 5 day course of antibiotics.Saw another different dentist (that's 4 since 20th Jan I'm getting a pro at this :giggle:) and he reiterated what others had said that the longer I leave it to get the impressions done the better it will be for me, so I am looking at at LEAST 7 weeks post extraction, no teeth and yes I am beautiful I know that on the inside it's just other shallow , judgemental people who are the problem :cry:I was freaking out yesterday thinking I might have to see my Dr if I couldn't get into see a dentist, I was thinking he or she would think bl**dy hell, she's only 44 , no teeth :o I know it's irrational but you can't help but think these things.I'll cope better I know when I get my teeth;DThanks for your positive words though x

O'h and the sepsis thing is a bit complicated, my original dentist, the one I hadn't seen for almost 7 yrs, he advised me to go to another dentist in my borough as he was in a neighbouring borough to get the IV sedation he knew I would need because of my fear and the treatment I would need.I want him to take care of me R.E dentures as I know I will need to go back and forth a lot especially initially and I want to be happy with the chap I am seeing:) I think he is just being realistic because he not carrying out the work he letting another deal with me, he probably thinks I am being seen by someone but the anaesthetic clinic just do the work and ship you on out, no aftercare or follow up appointments as you are a referral.I think the onus is on you to get back in touch if needed as they are so snowed under and I is a scaredy cat still :oops: but it will all work out I'm sure.

It may not be pus at all, SXB. Sometimes the extraction sites will skin over with a greenish/grayish, icky-looking goo that does look a lot like pus. As long as it feels okay and there's no "dead sheep" taste, you're doin' good!

When I had all my extractions done, some of them looked really gruesome a few days out, so I think I know what you're seeing. :)

You could be right. Of course when my upper teeth were taken out it wasn't easy to see into the sockets. With the lower socket I can see EVERYTHING! Lots of little white bits and gooey bits! Lovely! :o

And yes, it feels OK. Swelling almost gone and just a little soreness. All healing well. :)

Hi, yes it is an infection and I have another 5 day course of antibiotics.Saw another different dentist (that's 4 since 20th Jan I'm getting a pro at this :giggle:) and he reiterated what others had said that the longer I leave it to get the impressions done the better it will be for me, so I am looking at at LEAST 7 weeks post extraction, no teeth and yes I am beautiful I know that on the inside it's just other shallow , judgemental people who are the problem :cry:I was freaking out yesterday thinking I might have to see my Dr if I couldn't get into see a dentist, I was thinking he or she would think bl**dy hell, she's only 44 , no teeth :o I know it's irrational but you can't help but think these things.I'll cope better I know when I get my teeth;DThanks for your positive words though x

O'h and the sepsis thing is a bit complicated, my original dentist, the one I hadn't seen for almost 7 yrs, he advised me to go to another dentist in my borough as he was in a neighbouring borough to get the IV sedation he knew I would need because of my fear and the treatment I would need.I want him to take care of me R.E dentures as I know I will need to go back and forth a lot especially initially and I want to be happy with the chap I am seeing:) I think he is just being realistic because he not carrying out the work he letting another deal with me, he probably thinks I am being seen by someone but the anaesthetic clinic just do the work and ship you on out, no aftercare or follow up appointments as you are a referral.I think the onus is on you to get back in touch if needed as they are so snowed under and I is a scaredy cat still :oops: but it will all work out I'm sure.

I'm pretty sure doctors see far worse things than a 44 year old with no teeth. :o Your confidence should be sky-high once you get your gnashers! I know mine was! ;D;D;D

Back