• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Enamel damage?

C

Clazer

Hi,
This is my first post and am desperate for some advice.
My 8 yr old son has real problems with his teeth. Ive been told by different dentists that he has hypomineralisation or hypoplastia. Despite his baby teeth being perfect his adult teeth have come through with pits, grooves and white spots.?
His bottom two front teeth look relatively ok but tend to get a lot of calculus on sides and back.
(rather stupidly ) I took a pick to try to remove some of it that was stuck to the side ( as I cannot get a dental appointment due to current lockdown!) and it came off, but I think the tooth/ enamel was crumbling away too as there seems to now be an indented area?
Could I have scraped off the enamel with it? (I dont think I pressed overly hard but the pick had a sharp point. )
Im now terrified ive damaged his teeth further ? Im so angry at myself...
Thank you for any info or advice
x

Hi

One cannot remove enamel with a toothpick , not even if hypoplastic.
My guess is that you removed some calculus which might seem like enamel (white and hard).
regardless, calculus with an 8 years old is not urgent, waiting a few weeks will not change your kid’s dental health.

Thank you for your reply. As it was a metal toothpick I thought id scratched the enamel. In hindsight, its was a silly thing to do especislly as hypoplastic ?

Don't blame yourself, Clazer, you had good intentions. Hope this emergency situation in the world is over soon so that you can get an appointment and the reassurance that you haven't caused any damage.

Back