• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Enamel Defect...same as early cavity?

kitkat

kitkat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi all!

Just had a dentist appointment recently for a cleaning/exam. During the exam my dentist noted concerns about a small enamel defect on the lingual side (closest to the tongue) of the very last tooth on the bottom, left. She said she would "watch it" for now to see what happens. I had never noticed it before but ever since she pointed it out, my tongue is constantly exploring it and it feels like a pretty significant groove or crack in the side of it...it is not sensitive at all but it does worry me. She treated it with fluoride in the office and told me to use it at home. Is this an early sign of a cavity? Or does this just mean that it is a cavity-prone area? Is an enamel defect the same thing as decay? I cannot see it myself because of the angle but it feels like a whole in the tooth :( . I figured it can't be decay otherwise she would have just filled it...is it maybe a chip from some sort of insult to the tooth that just did not penetrate through the whole outer tooth layer? I'm confused.

Thanks for any input.
Kitkat

You're absolutely right. An enamel defect is not the same thing as an early cavity, but depending on the kind of defect it may be prone to decay. Without looking at it its difficult to say but if you're being treated with fluoride rather than a sealant its probably not big enough of a defect to worry about too much. Just keep the area clean by brushing regularly (2X a day for 2-3 minutes), and floss (at least once/day).

I hope that helps!

Thanks Decan! Good to know! :)

You are so lucky to have a dentist that gives you an early warning!
My dentist just waited until early decay became a cavity, denying there was decay.
I'd put loads of fluoride products on it, a few times a day, keep it free of plaque, and maybe try a remineralising toothpaste with Recaldent or NovaMin in it, to treat the enamel.

I agree Poppy. It is nice to have a dentist who's main focus is on prevention, usually 6 months from when she says that she ends up wanting to fill it anyway but at least I know the news is coming lol.... Thanks for the tips, I will look into those. I'm in the USA so I will have to see what products are available over here...(I assume that you are in the UK? seems to be the case for the majority of the members here) and none of those products sound familiar to me.

Kitkat, When you get a warning you should also get advice on what do do, or the warning is pretty useless, unless you use loads of fluoride anyway.
You can DEF arrest surface decay with some effort.
For remineralising enamel try Dr Collins "Restore" with NovaMin or GC Tooth Mousse with Recaldent.
I had to get it online. It's not in UK shops.
You sometimes have to educate yourself and put real effort in if you want to prevent cavities, which is why I personally am furious, because I knew what to do in the event of decay, but got lied to and got told there was nothing wrong.....there was...Plus he's missed ANOTHER area, that my private dentist has told me about.
Had I not switched dentists, I would have another cavity in 6 months time...:mad:

Last edited:
Poppy,

I am aware of what I need to do and my dentist has educated me about how to halt tooth decay and even possibly remineralise the enamel. It's just that despite my efforts, it normally does not work. I can understand you being angry with your dentist though, it's their job to prevent decay and identify problems when they occur early on. Early identification would save you from more invasive procedures, save you money, and save you time that would need to be taken out for appointments. Definitely affects the trust relationship with your dentist as well since he or she does not sound like they are being honest and up front with you.

Spot on Kitkat!!
All we want is a CHANCE to fix early decay.
With good diet, lots of fluoride and a product for the enamel, you really are in with a fighting chance of arresting surface decay and remineralising the area.
I am flossing twice to 3 times a day between 2 teeth to arrest enamel only decay, on top of brushing 4 times a day with a high fluoride toothpaste as well as a remineralising one.
I'm sure this will work, and would work for you too! It's a lot of effort, but should work in 6 months.

For remineralising enamel try Dr Collins "Restore" with NovaMin or GC Tooth Mousse with Recaldent.

Recaldent has been shown to decrease demineralization, but its effect on remineralization has only been shown in lab and not in a peer reviewed clinical trial.

What about Novamin, Decan?? Is that better?
I went for Novamin over Recaldent.
I guess both help! Better than nothing! Though I can't say Novamin has remineralised anything so far, though only been using it for 5 weeks, so too soon.
People have reported small cavities closing over using Novamin....Over several months....

From what we've been taught there is no clinical data showing that it enhances remineralization better than fluoride. There is nothing better than regular old fluoride. :)

Decan, there are loads of toothpastes on the market that target enamel and remineralising it. With products in other than fluoride just for this purpose.
I'm going for both types of products, with one for gums thrown in for good measure too.

I know that is the purpose of the products and I'm not saying that it does not work, I'm just saying that there is no published clinical evidence that says it does.

Wish there were more trials and new products being produced that really work to prevent decay and remineralise enamel.
Seems toothpaste manufacturers are only really interested in whitening products that don't work.
There doesn't seem to be much research into new ways to prevent decay and getting it out there.

Back