• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Enamel Rebuilding & Sensitivity

S

SJS1993

Need some advice here.
For years Ive had sensitive teeth, from breathing in outside cold air to rinsing with cold after brushing, to drinking cold water. Now, brushing is fine, no pain, but the bottoms & tops of my teeth look 30% transparent, especially the front ones. I dont drink any fizzy drink, only water. But I neglected my mouth hygeine most of childhood and teens, although brushed occasionally. But past few years Ive brushed a lot and used mouthwash.

But Im not sure what product to use to rebuild my enamel and desensitise my teeth. I tried Sensodyne rapid relief for a few days but my teeth became sore, more sensitive, and it gave me painful toothaches for 4 days in various places so I kept off it.

Where do I go from here?

Hi, sometimes it's just a case of trying out different desensitising agents. What works well for one person may not work for someone else. Usually, you'll need to use a desensitising toothpaste for longer than a few days to notice any effects. But if you experience bad side effects, then obviously you may want to give that particular toothpaste a miss. Having said that, some effects which may feel disturbing (e.g. some toothpastes can make dead skin cells in the mucosa form stringy "clumps") are actually harmless.

We've got a page on the topic of sensitive here if you haven't seen it already:

Back