• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Enamel wear on front teeth?

B

beckycarlos

Hi, so this is my first post, I'll try and be short and sweet!

The other day when I was looking in the mirror I noticed two weird patches on my front teeth, like plaque had built up there (I brush twice a day and floss once a week or so) so I went to scrape it off with my fingernail (sometimes when my teeth feel gritty between brushes I do this anyway, especially around the gumline, I know this is probably bad for me!). To my dismay it looked like I'd peeled a bit away from each front tooth, I then noticed a bit on my second tooth to the left, and my eye tooth - you can't really see it now, but if I turn my head so the light shines on them right I can see where it was...

My boyfriend tells me I've started brushing my teeth for a long time (about 5 minutes! I've now limited myself to two minutes and I think he's right because it seems really short to me) and I think I brush too hard as well - my brushes have been wearing out quicker than normal with splayed bristles.

I have my regular check up a week on Monday so I'll tell my dentist about it then, but I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice? I'm now freaking out and having horrible 'all your teeth fall out' dreams...And I'm really mad at myself in case I've caused some sort of issue that could have been avoided :( x

Could be some tartar that you've picked off? Can't think what else it can be from your description, but I doubt if all your teeth will fall out before next Monday :)

Hi you really need to be flossing everyday to keep your gums healthy. It should help you if you get a soft toothbrush, or an electric toothbrush. It is good that you brush twice a day.

Good luck with your appointment :clover::clover::clover:

Hi,
It just might be dental pellicle, perfectly normal.

read the Wikipedia description and see if it fits:

Thanks guys :) I know I'm stressing too much over it, I get a bit (/lot) obsessive over health things... On the plus side it's not happened again on the two front teeth, and nothing appears to have changed on the second tooth or canine... ah well, if nothing else I'm sure I'll give my dentist a smile :)

Thanks again x x x

Back