• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Endodontist appointment update advice needed please!

R

Rinda

After nearly three weeks of having my root filling done and still being in agony I went to see an Endodontist today for a second opinion. He said I have muscular pain along that side that needed addressing . But when he looked at the X-ray of the root canal he said it hadn't been filled correctly The seal is too short and doesn't fill the tooth therefore it will harbour infection and needs redone. I feel ill with worry. He said I would need one 60 minute appointment and two ninety minute appoints to re-do it then I'd need to go back to my dentist and get her to put a crown over it. What a nightmare I just don't know if will be able to sit in a dental chair for 60 minutes and two ninety minute appointments my anxiety is through the roof. I would need to get up to go to the toilet. I said to him that when my dentist was about to fill it she told me she'd need to do one last X-ray to make sure the seal was far enough up and she said it was but he showed me the X-ray and it clearly isn't.
I am feeling ill with worry the thought of having to go for those lengthy appointments is making me panic. I need a widdle just at the thought of sitting in the chair never mind actually sitting there for such a lengthy duration. Does anyone know if this is normally what happens when you have it redone? I'm worried too that I go through all that and it's a failure but I don't want to be missing a tooth as it's noticeable .

Oh no that sounds like a long time in the chair! I’m sure you’d be allowed breaks!? How is the tooth hurting? I’m due to see endo tomorrow about my potentially failing root canal (8yr old one) I’ve just had a new crown on it and it’s not been happy since! I don’t knowxwhether I can go with all thecredoing and new crown when I’ve just been through the crown process once! It all seems so daunting doesn’t it! It’s making me ill with worry ? so I totally understand how u feel!

Oh no that sounds like a long time in the chair! I’m sure you’d be allowed breaks!? How is the tooth hurting? I’m due to see endo tomorrow about my potentially failing root canal (8yr old one) I’ve just had a new crown on it and it’s not been happy since! I don’t knowxwhether I can go with all thecredoing and new crown when I’ve just been through the crown process once! It all seems so daunting doesn’t it! It’s making me ill with worry ? so I totally understand how u feel!

Its like a burning throbbing pain above my teeth and into my cheekbone. I honestly don't think I can cope with sitting in a chair that long. I think my jaw will lock keeping my mouth open all that time. It was bad enough getting the root filling done to start with. Trying to swallow and breath. I feel breathless just having a filling done. I never thought it would be such a lengthy process. Not sure to get another Endodontists opinion, wish I knew if this is standard. I feel disheartened that my dentist hasn't done it properly in the first place and now I have what I feel like is going to be torcher and not to mention having to pay for a Endo to re do it.

I had a root canal with an endodontist at the beginning of the year, and at the initial consultation he spotted that the tooth next to it, which had had RCT 20 years ago, had a missed canal. It needed a re-treatment, with two 90 minute appointments, and a cost of almost £1,000, on top of the root canal I was expecting. So that was 4 x 90minute appointments over two months.

The first tooth was done, fine, then we did the re-treat. First appointment, fine. Midway through the second appointment, I felt my period start. I was mortified, but I had to stop him and go to the loo. I felt like a right idiot, but the alternative was blood on his pale green chair, so... Anyway, he was completely non-plussed, and the dental nurse said it happens all the time.

In terms of the actual procedure, it’s essentially the same, but more finickety. Instead of cleaning the canals of gunk, he is cleaning out the root filling material. Then the canals are disinfected, re-filled, and the tooth sealed up. I had to go back a month after the final treatment for more x-rays and an exam, then he wrote to my Dentist to say all was well, and she crowned both teeth. The whole process took about six months from the initial consultation to the crowns being fitted - but I got tonsillitis in the middle and then he went on holiday, so that delayed my final root canal session.

My teeth were upper first and second molars.

I had a root canal with an endodontist at the beginning of the year, and at the initial consultation he spotted that the tooth next to it, which had had RCT 20 years ago, had a missed canal. It needed a re-treatment, with two 90 minute appointments, and a cost of almost £1,000, on top of the root canal I was expecting. So that was 4 x 90minute appointments over two months.

The first tooth was done, fine, then we did the re-treat. First appointment, fine. Midway through the second appointment, I felt my period start. I was mortified, but I had to stop him and go to the loo. I felt like a right idiot, but the alternative was blood on his pale green chair, so... Anyway, he was completely non-plussed, and the dental nurse said it happens all the time.

In terms of the actual procedure, it’s essentially the same, but more finickety. Instead of cleaning the canals of gunk, he is cleaning out the root filling material. Then the canals are disinfected, re-filled, and the tooth sealed up. I had to go back a month after the final treatment for more x-rays and an exam, then he wrote to my Dentist to say all was well, and she crowned both teeth. The whole process took about six months from the initial consultation to the crowns being fitted - but I got tonsillitis in the middle and then he went on holiday, so that delayed my final root canal session.

My teeth were upper first and second molars.

How does it take 90 minutes each time? I feel breathless even thinking about it ? how did you manage to keep your mouth open all that time? Weren't you gagging and choking? Wasn't your jaw locking? My jaw constantly clicks I grind my teeth. I wonder if I could get something to calm me down. I know as soon as I get into the chair I'm going to need the toilet! I went for a widdle three times when I got in there today as he was running late and that was just for a consultation! The receptionists must of thought I was very odd!

Sorry, me again. Things that helped me through the appointments:

The endodontist had a TV above the chair and asked me what I wanted to watch. I chose (don’t judge) Jeremy Kyle, because I knew it would distract me, plus it’s something I would never normally watch - so it wouldn’t spoil a favourite show.

I brought a soft toy to every appointment (again, don’t judge!) which I held in my hands and fiddled with, squeezed etc. Mine was a Beanie Baby so small enough to fit in my handbag.

I also brought lavender oil which I put round my nose in the waiting room.

I planned a treat after every appointment - a parcel waiting for me when I got home, a bunch of flowers, whatever I fancied.

I wore a nice outfit to every appointment. I decided to wear something striped each time, plus a particular perfume which always makes me feel good.

My appointments were mid-afternoon, so I didn’t have to go back to work with a frozen face.

I knew the alternative was worse - pain, or having the tooth extracted.

Other than the first and last point, this probably all sounds completely ridiculous, but maybe it will help you, or someone else.

Sorry, me again. Things that helped me through the appointments: The endodontist had a TV above the chair and asked me what I wanted to watch. I chose (don’t judge) Jeremy Kyle, because I knew it would distract me, plus it’s something I would never normally watch - so it wouldn’t spoil a favourite show. I brought a soft toy to every appointment (again, don’t judge!) which I held in my hands and fiddled with, squeezed etc. Mine was a Beanie Baby so small enough to fit in my handbag. I also brought lavender oil which I put round my nose in the waiting room. I planned a treat after every appointment - a parcel waiting for me when I got home, a bunch of flowers, whatever I fancied. I wore a nice outfit to every appointment. I decided to wear something striped each time, plus a particular perfume which always makes me feel good. My appointments were mid-afternoon, so I didn’t have to go back to work with a frozen face. I knew the alternative was worse - pain, or having the tooth extracted. Other than the first and last point, this probably all sounds completely ridiculous, but maybe it will help you, or someone else.
You are much braver than me , don't think any of those would help me x It's the thought of being trapped in the chair for all that time I'm feeling claustrophobic just thinking about it ? Didn't notice a TV inside the consulting room just the waiting room.

But when he looked at the X-ray of the root canal he said it hadn't been filled correctly The seal is too short and doesn't fill the tooth therefore it will harbour infection and needs redone. I feel ill with worry. He said I would need one 60 minute appointment and two ninety minute appoints to re-do it then I'd need to go back to my dentist and get her to put a crown over it. .

Hi Rinda
I have had a few successful root canals and they do take time to do them properly, however I think the timings you have been given are likely worst case scenario timings and that in reality for an endodontist, it could well not take quite as long as that per appointment. The worst thing though is a dentist/endo who rushes a root canal. Our FAQ on root canals explains how important having the correct equipment such as a microscope is and this can be why some good General dentists don't get as good a result as a good endodontist can: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/faq/root-canal/
Best wishes
Brit

Last edited:
How does it take 90 minutes each time? I feel breathless even thinking about it ? how did you manage to keep your mouth open all that time? Weren't you gagging and choking? Wasn't your jaw locking? My jaw constantly clicks I grind my teeth. I wonder if I could get something to calm me down. I know as soon as I get into the chair I'm going to need the toilet! I went for a widdle three times when I got in there today as he was running late and that was just for a consultation! The receptionists must of thought I was very odd!

90 minutes is normal especially if it was a molar. Basically what the endodontist does is, he have to drill through the tooth/filling then clean out the canal space, disinfect the space as they go and then reshape the canals before filling them.

The cleaning and reshaping part is very technique sensitive and abit like a finesse art. Basically what the endo is doing to clean out the space is to remove debris bit by bit with a tiny needle looking hand file. Because the canal space is tiny (think width of a hair tiny) and molars are larger and have more canals, curved root, etc, (also hence the use of a microscope) they do need more time to ensure all the canals are properly cleaned out, disinfected and reshaped before they fill the root.

I've had friends tell me that a root canal procedure is actually a largely boring procedure. Some endo offices actually have a tv for patients to watch when getting the treatment. Also, as what someone else suggested, bring your own music too.

Hi Rinda
I have had a few successful root canals and they do take time to do them properly, however I think the timings you have been given are likely worst case scenario timings and that in reality for an endodontist, it could well not take quite as long as that per appointment. The worst thing though is a dentist/endo who rushes a root canal. Our FAQ on root canals explains how important having the correct equipment such as a microscope is and this can be why some good General dentists don't get as good a result as a good endodontist can: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/faq/root-canal/
Best wishes
Brit
Have you had any re done Brit? I wonder if going to the Dr and getting a mild sedative would help? I've never had any type of sedative before. Even typing this makes me feel panicked and breathless and that's me not even sat in the chair yet , that's just the thought of it but I don't want to lose my tooth either if I can help it ?

Back