• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Endodontist Caused Gum Abscess/Pocket. Any Help I'd be Grateful!

W

wilson68944

Hi Guys!!

I'm a newbie and first poster. I'm at the end of my rope today and if I could gain any guidance or answers from this vast community I would be sincerely grateful. I'm just about to crack from anxiety and have really reached a depressing place mentally. I'm a 28 year old male and the only illness I have is Graves' disease which is simply hyperthyroidism. Besides my hyperthyroidism I'm healthy. I have a very serious concern about my teeth. It's an unhealthy fixation on my dental health and an unhealthy fear of losing my teeth.

I had my first Root Canal performed on 10/2013 on the very last molar on my top right side by a General Dentist. I think it's my second molar, it's not the wisdom tooth. I've got very good gums which I have measured every year with my cleanings and I also went to a Periodontist in 2011 for a burning mouth sensation and he measured them himself and said they were in great shape. Weeks after the Root Canal I began experiencing suspicious symptoms that led me to believe the RC may have failed. The foul taste came back, a loose feeling with tooth, and a my first sinus infection above the RC tooth on the same side.

On Tuesday 8/12/14, I went to an Endodontist to examine the RC tooth for possible retreatment because I was told by many dentists that I should not have General Dentists doing my Root Canals. She took a digital x-ray and then manually examined me. She was examining me a bit zealously between the gum and my tooth and it was a bit uncomfortable. She concluded the exam by telling me that my RC looked 'good' and she felt the general dentist who preformed the RC was obviously competent. She told me it was possible the antibiotics the ENT doctor prescribed for the sinus infection was "masking any signs of reinfection" but she felt that it was in good shape and told me not to come back unless an abscess formed or some serious other problem. She said she felt the sinus infection and bad taste were coincidences and not related to the recently RC'd tooth.

Over the next few days every time I brushed my teeth, swished with Listerine or ate, my old empty abscess pocket near the gumline would fill with debris and I have to push on it while swiping towards my gumline to empty it. I had this problem when I had the original abscess before I had the RC because they needed to trace my abscess to find what tooth was infected. Tracing the tooth requires sticking a thin stick through the abscess bubble and pushing it until you find resistance. Then you take an x-ray with the stick still in your gum and whichever tooth it's against is the infected tooth. Well the dentist tracing pushed too hard and it came out of the gum alongside infected tooth. Therefore, he punctured a whole in my natural periodontal pocket to my abscess so after that it would fill whenever I put something in my mouth. After the RC it closed up. I assume when the Endodontist was probing my gum between my tooth kind of harshly she reopened that canal to the old empty abscess pocket. So now it is filling again. I don't know what to do. I'm at the end of my rope over these problems. I feel like I'm one step forward and two steps back. To think I came out of the dentist worse than I went in is deeply troubling to me.

Please, if you have a similar story or any advice I'd greatly appreciate it! I called her but it's the weekend and I don't know how we're going to remedy this.

""""After the RC it closed up. I assume when the Endodontist was probing my gum between my tooth kind of harshly she reopened that canal to the old empty abscess pocket. So now it is filling again."""
Not possible.

""""After the RC it closed up. I assume when the Endodontist was probing my gum between my tooth kind of harshly she reopened that canal to the old empty abscess pocket. So now it is filling again."""
Not possible.

Thank you for responding to my concern. I hope that you can elaborate a little more than "not possible". I haven't had an abscess in 10 months since I had a root canal, my only root canal, and immediately following her probing between my gum and tooth I now am getting a gingival abscess to sprout up, coincidently? It swells immediately after I put anything in my mouth of substance and it doesn't have a Pimple head like a pus abscess it's rather just a lump. I can manually manipulate it to empty it. I've never been diagnosed with any gum disease and the tooth has no hole in it. You can cause manual trauma to that perio pocket, right? I'd greatly appreciate it if you could take a moment out of you day to just throw some ideas my way of what is going on. Thanks for even responding at all. :)

Back