• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

endodontist vs. general dentist for root canal

T

tearycloud

I am supposed to get a root canal and have had a hard time selecting between my general dentist vs. an endodontist. My general dentist is pressing to do it and says she has years of experience doing root canals.

It's a molar tooth that I had filled for a deep cavity.

Who is preferable for root canals?

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

I had two rct's done by a general dentist one on the top back and one on the bottom back, one worked, one didn't. The one that didn't is being re treated at the moment. I would go to the endodontist if you can afford it as they are doing these all the time day in day out and allow the extra time to do it, they also use a microscope meaning more chance of success.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: let us know what you decide and how you get on. :butterfly:

My general dentist is pressing to do it and says she has years of experience doing root canals.
Experience is the most important factor. Endotologist is more needed in the more compicated and difficult cases.​

Does it matter that the endo just graduated from school in 2012?

I'll second Carole's comments. For a molar tooth, endodontists do have higher success rates than general dentists (of course, there may be exceptions to every rule, but generally speaking...). Unless your dentist has a special interest in endodontics and owns a microscope, I would probably go with an endodontist if you can afford it.

Do you mean he completed a masters programme in 2012, or that he actually qualified as a dentist in 2012 :confused:

I'll second Carole's comments. For a molar tooth, endodontists do have higher success rates than general dentists (of course, there may be exceptions to every rule, but generally speaking...). Unless your dentist has a special interest in endodontics and owns a microscope, I would probably go with an endodontist if you can afford it.

Do you mean he completed a masters programme in 2012, or that he actually qualified as a dentist in 2012 :confused:

Hello, he received his masters in 2012. He received his DDS in 2009 according to his bio.

For a molar tooth go with the one who has a microscope.
Success rates for endodontics are very high for the first treatment, less good for retreatments so you really want to get it right first time. A microscope helps the dentist find and 'hidden' extra canals.
If they've both got a microscope then it gets really hard to pick.
Important that the tooth is well treated afterwards - it'll probably need a crown or onlay - don't forget to factor that into your budget.

Hi there:) I have had two root canals both on molars and my dentist has always sent me to the endo. I don't have any experience with my dentist doing it but have found the endo to be quicker than I thought and painless. He was so good at root canals I found them easier than having a tooth filled both times. I hope this helps:)

Back