• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Enhanced Dentistry

Hello folks. As promised, the resume on what happened yesterday (Tuesday 27th August 2019AD). Wow, what a difference a day and another person makes! Normal service is resumed and we are all floating on happy clouds once again. The planned session went as hoped, this time back with mostly ultrasonic tools and so no nasty surprises or any undue discomfort from anything that went on; in fact, we were chatting for ages at the start about the fact that the daughter of my dentist had just passed a violin exam with flying colours (I used to play myself). Clearly we share a lot of musical interests, which was so nice to break the ice and set up a lovely atmosphere for the session. After the cleaning and this time a much more thorough polishing, Megan had spotted a problem with the bridge behind my two front teeth; it turns out that it had become partially unglued, and so we fixed it with the introduction of some fresh new glue and a few bursts of ultra violet light to set it solid, in the same way as fillings are set hard. Hopefully this will solve the issue for some years to come, and I believe this had been partially causing some of my previous discomfort, as today I feel tons better, though am avoiding biting too much to be sure that the repair has really hardened off fully. Megan readily conceded that the way I had been cleaned the previous time was totally unnecessary, and so I have decided to stick with Megan for all occasions; that way I will be sure that I will be well cared for and be confident that every session will be largely pain free and pleasant. I have booked my next cleaning already for December, though we think I may be able to cut the frequencies down a little next year if all continues to go well. Thanks to all of you for your recent support and will write again at the next session! From dental heaven with love. Simon XX

Congratulations Simon ? - that is wonderful news!! So happy for you :thumbsup!:

Megan is most definately a blessing!! she sounds so kind and gentle as well as extra competant. I would stick with her too.. :) Wish she were here :) So glad you had a great session with her! You are always inspiration Simon!! :grouphug:

Thanks to all of you for your messages and support. Will write again after my next session in December unless anything crops up in the meantime...... From dental heaven with love. Simon XX

Hello everyone Believe it or not, the next session has come round already! Where have those past three months gone? In dentistry terms, this period has been mercifully quiet, hence I have not posted on this thread for several weeks. In fact I have been busy trying to raise the profile of mental health in my local area and, as well as going on an eight week "action for happiness" course back in mid september, have started some very promising balls rolling on this and hope to get things started for real early in the new year. My only dental issues have been occasional headaches and reaching during home cleanings some nights; the taste of these toothpastes are so so horrid! If only one could get it in gin and tonic flavour........ So, my cleaning comes up in two days time (December 3rd 2019 AD), again with Megan and Lisa as per last time. Will write again on this after the event. From dental heaven with love. Simon XX

Simon,

So nice to hear from you, this all sounds so lovely, raising the profile for mental health in your area and taking an 8 week action for happiness course.. wow.. would love to hear more! Hope you will have a great visit with Megan and Lisa and look forward to hearing the report. We will be in the chair on the same day :).. Always love news from dental Heaven!! :) :grouphug: :cloud9:

Hello folks. Thanks to those who wrote messages recently, always appreciated. The session from my perspective went with little incident; after initial problems getting a temporary scaling machine working, the session was largely pleasant and problem free; the polishing was really lovely this time and it was nice to lay on Megans chest as she worked and spoke in her lovely little gentle kiwi accent, with nurse Lisa the other side doing her bit with soft words to match. We have encountered an ongoing issue; it turns out that my bridge has finally broken and so after some twelve years or so of sterling service is going to be replaced early in the new year. This is going to cost a few hundred pounds and take three or four long sessions to complete, but hopefully should not be too sinister thanks to the kindness and expert care proffered by both Lisa and Megan. In closing, to wish everyone a very happy Christmas and will write again when my bridge replacement gets underway. From dental heaven with love. Simon XX

Hello and a very Happy New Year and decade to you all; for those reading in the UK, also a Happy "Brexit" for Friday! As promised, here is my next spiel, as the procedure for my new bridge gets underway. Yesterday (Tuesday 28th January 2020 AD) I had the first of what is now planned to be only two appointments; this one was all about removing the old, and the next one in just over ten days time is about fitting the new. Despite a sleepless night prior, the session went very well and was not the ordeal I was dreading; firstly, the moulds taken have now gone all digital, and so no nasty clay stuck in for ages nor the fractured jaw from a removal. In fact it was totally pain free with a camera on a wand taking pictures to then proudly display my teeth in three dimensions and full colour on a big screen! Within moments these were sent and with the nearby technician who will make up the new teeth to these patterns. As I had suffered such ordeals in the past Megan on looking around the area very sensibly opted to give me a local to numb out the entire area; the patch behind the breakage was a bit tender and so the drugs allowed us to work in total comfort. As per my experience at "Smiles Better" last year, my nurse Lisa held me as the shot was given, a couple of minutes after an extremely effective gel had been applied, but this time felt nothing at all! I was somewhat aware of drugs moving in, but there was no discomfort associated with it whatsoever. The needles nowadays are so thin (I reckon barely a hair in diameter) that I would wager for most sites very comfortable even without gel if the person giving is particularly good. The only strange sensation I really had this time was an odd taste that soon dissipated after a couple of minutes. One small shot was enough to take out a whole quadrant, let alone the one tooth it was intended to freeze, so whatever happened thereafter could have been taking place in a nearby block of wood! The actual process although pain free was quite long winded, as the old glue had to be very carefully milled out without causing undue heat from friction and so risk damaging tooth surface; I reckon this took just shy of twenty minutes. With all removed, a few more pictures were taken and sent of the gap now exposed. before to my surprise and delight, the teeth were cleaned and temporarily glued back in! This means that I still look and sound great, and life can continue normally until my new teeth get fitted in ten days time. The only slight issue I had afterwards was some slight jaw ache from the extended periods of necessary openings, but as per previous sessions plenty of breaks were given, and reassuring voices lilted from both ladies throughout the procedure. Due to the noise of the drilling and the long openings, in hindsight I think I did the right thing in having all of this under sedation when it was last done in a dental hospital some fifteen years ago, as I was then in such a state with anything dentistry that I simply would not have coped.......... But my, how things change in the dental world in one decade! I can honestly report that the care and attention I received from this latest session was of the utmost quality and the attitude to care from all involved sublime! This goes to prove that if people just make a little effort the rewards can be huge. I still feel the sadness that I did not have someone as lovely as Megan in the eighties; I would not have had the phobias and as many traumas that I have endured up until recent times. I should add at this juncture, that at this appointment it was exactly two years since I had my first appointment back in 2018 at "Smiles Better" and thus started my road to recovery from phobia to freedom, and exactly eighteen months since first meeting Megan and Lisa at "Enhance", the whole story of which can be read on here for those who have not already read and followed. My second instalment is thus already set up for Tuesday 11th February, when if all goes to plan, I should be sporty a nice and shiny smart new pair of teeth! I will write about this after the event as before.......... God Bless Megan and Lisa, Sameera and Annabel From dental heaven with love. Simon XX

Hello everyone. As promised, my update on my bridge fitting that successfully took place today (Tuesday 11th February 2020 AD); I am delighted to report that I am now sporting two very beautiful shiny new white teeth that are so convincing that one would never guess they were not my own natural teeth! The temporary repair did fail a week ago, but I was lucky enough that Megan was free that morning to fix it within hours of the failure, and so I had the full two weeks with teeth. Today, everything was very straightforward with no discomfort whatsoever; the old teeth came out fairly easily despite a good solid second repair, and the old glue cleaned off very lovingly with no sensation at all. In fact I just enjoyed being laid back on a very comfortable chair being cosseted by both Megan and my beloved nurse Lisa, along with their dulcet tones. I did have to manage a long period of opening, but all went smoothly otherwise and less than an hour later it was all over and a superb job done by all concerned. I do have a small amount of dull ache which is fading all the time as I write several hours later; this is due not only to the necessary prolonged openings, but also because the new bridge, now securely and properly fitted is doing its job of pulling the neighbouring teeth back to where they belong. I invisage this to be mostly past by tomorrow (Wednesday) and eating reasonably well too. My next session with Megan for routine cleaning and a review of this recent work is already booked in for next month (March) and will update as things occur. From dental heaven with love. Simon

Thanks to everyone for their messages of support. Some ten days on after the event, so far so good. The new teeth are performing well and look and feel sublime. That is all now until my next cleaning and review on the 17th March, when I will write again. From dental heaven with love. Simon

Love to hear news from Dental Heaven Simon!! :) :).. So glad everything is looking and feeling sublime!!!

Hello everyone. I hope this finds you all safe and well given the awful events that are unfolding around the globe. As planned, I did indeed have my review and cleaning yesterday (Tuesday 17th March) and all is well. The gum scores were mostly two or less with a few three, so everyone is happy there. I did end up with a different nurse to Lisa yesterday, as she was needed to help with the virus effort, but her stand in, Sophie was equally attentive and I am more than happy for her to look after me again if needed. The cleaning was a lovely experience with plenty of indulgent polishing; the only downside to the whole session was a slightly unpleasant tasting mouthwash, which was in use to help with the virus effort, as this substance was an anti viral, so I was more than happy to use it for peace of mind for all concerned. Megan has booked me for three months time, confident that we should be able to make this (end of June) when I will be having some follow up x rays as it will be two years (amazingly) since the last lot were taken, and she wants to check the integrity of my fillings through these images (as these are some 34 years old, circa 1986!!) as well as everything else. The recently replaced bridge is doing well and looking and feeling good. In closing, I wish everybody around the world on this site peace health and a speedy return to normal life. From dental heaven with love and God's blessings. Simon XX

Congrats Simon ?! Sounds like you got in there just in time :thumbsup: (apparently, in Scotland, scaling and polishing has been stopped with immediate effect due to coronavirus - see here: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-51944043 ). Great to hear that things went so well - Megan and Sophie sound lovely :)!!

Simon,

Glad to hear you got in and everything went well and Sophie does sound like she is a great addition to dental heaven :)..

Thanks guys, Megan and all at "Enhance" have been something of a revelation. Hope my story and outcome will comfort and inspire others who may follow. Love Simon

Simon,

Was just thinking I could imagine you as an inspirational reality tv host about dental heaven and inspirational dental stories from the chair :)..

Hello everyone; I hope you are all keeping well and have made it this far with the world crisis. This missive is a few weeks late, as my appointment for June was moved at the last moment; in the end it took place on Tuesday 5th August 2020 AD. It is ironic that, as most of us on here fear going to the dentist, in my case, I feared actually not being able to ever get to the dentist ever again! How pleased we were to see each other after all of these goings on. The session was pleasantly normal; although Megan and Lisa had face coverings on, this was the same as normal, and so there was nothing sinister about my time there at all. Despite a few ongoing concerns, all was surprisingly well; the gum scores had remained at mostly two with the odd three; the bridge was intact and performing well despite a scare I had back in May when I thought I had broken something, and the x rays taken were all clear. Thanks to the latest image technology, I could see this for myself! Sadly, still no ultrasonics, so I was denied my beloved polishing this time, but Megan was able to carry out a little careful hand scaling where it proved necessary; unlike previous experiences with past people, this time it was very straightforward and delivered with such kindness and compassion, that even this was somewhat enjoyable compared to ordeals of the distant past. It just felt so nice to be touched and cared for after so many weeks of compulsory human neglect. This all done, I was passed as fit again and this time we have left the date of my next session open, as we in the UK fear another wave of the virus, and this might coincide with the timings of my usually planned visit (around November), so we have decided to wait until next March, in the hope that by then, the worst of this is behind us, and more normal service can resume. If ultrasonic care should return suddenly, we are then going to squeeze in a full cleaning when this is possible. Watch this space....... From dental heaven with love. Simon

Hello everyone.
Hope you have all survived thus far and have been able to get the help and support needed in the dentistry world. Good news from my end; despite us being plunged into another shutdown (this in the UK), this time it seems that dentists and most other forms of healthcare are remaining open regardless and so, having had a lovely heartfelt missive from the practice manager assuring us that they were very much open and there to support us, I immediately pounced and have managed with no difficulty to book myself for a much deserved clean for the 24th November. I cannot wait, as it has been so long since I have had a proper clean! Apparently, cleaning has recently been permitted again, and so I encourage anyone out there in need to contact their dentist and book yourself a much deserved pampering! Fingers crossed this goes as planned, and will thus write again after this session happens.
From dental heaven with love. Simon.

Back