• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Enhanced Hygienist after 30 years!

S

Surreyvwphobic

Hello to all of you on this site and a very Happy Christmas and New Year to you all.

Many of you will have been following me through what has been an extraordinary year with my two ongoing posts titled "Smiles Better" and "Enhanced Dentistry", both found in the "Journals" section.

This time last year (November 2017 AD) I was a quivering blubbering wreck barely able to even contemplate let alone enter a dental surgery without falling apart; now, a year on, I am now actively enjoying each session and getting the loving care and support that was so woefully denied when I most needed it in the eighties.

I have mentioned elsewhere on this site in the past that I had not seen a hygienist since I was a teenager, I estimate the year to be 1986 when I last had the misfortune to suffer a bloody fate with one of these.

My, how times have changed! Yesterday (Wednesday 12 December 2018 AD), my final fear and prejudice of the dental world was finally laid to rest once and for all. I am happily set up with two dentists, one a short train ride away (and the one who first got me out of phobia to freedom), and one who is very local to me a short walk away from the front door. I am duly booked up to see my local lady in late February, but realised soon after booking that this was going to be nearly five months since my recent cleaning and review which took place back in October. So I had a choice; perhaps go to the distant practice, risk sitting it out and hope nothing went wrong in the meantime or see what I could do locally as I wanted to keep to within three months between sessions.

I chose the latter. My regular dentist is off to sunny climes seeing family for a few weeks, so I could not see her at the time I felt was right, so once more bit the bullet and decided to risk seeing one of their hygienists..........

I need not have feared, and was absolutely amazed by what happened thereafter; I was put with a lovely young lady called Cara, who, like Megan my dentist, was simply LOVELY! Cara is in fact a dental "therapist" as well as a regular hygienist, which means that she can also do some simple dental treatments and give special needs and phobia support as well as the usual hygiene services. She was so kind and understanding about what had happened to me and acknowledged I had been somewhat failed in the past, but that she was now here to support and care for me. I can report that the session was so gentle and relaxing, with the best and most indulgent polishing I have ever had in my entire life; so nice was it that I actually found myself dozing on her breast once or twice as she worked away. At no time was I ever bossed at or scolded like previous monsters had done; instead, it was praises abound for coping with a difficult mouth and just a simple mandate to continue the good work as I felt able.

As with my two recent dentists, the session was well measured, with plenty of breaks given and space to rest as necessary. As before, I left the surgery with no pain whatsoever and floated home without a care in the world; if only it had been like this in the eighties! Never in all my born years did I ever think I would actually get to ENJOY a session with a hygienist, but such is the improvements in the dental world that this is now a possible reality. The irony is that I am now looking for a new hairdresser as something went a little wrong with her recently. Things happen..........

I cannot speak highly enough of this lady at "Enhance Dental Spa" in Ely (UK) and recommend anyone in the area seeking kindly dentists to give this place a try. Any hygienists reading this could learn from this tale!

Ongoing posts relating to this will continue in my thread titled "Enhanced Dentistry" in the "journals" section, where any replies should also be directed.

From dental heaven with love. Simon XX

Bravo! Courage!

You have stamped, with wonderful help, your passport to freedom.

Simon. You and your dental journey are always inspiration for all of us!! So lovely!

An aside to the above.... I now have a choice of two lovely hairdressers once again so my head as a whole is well cared for!! Just like the dentists, it is down to finding the right person to suit yourself, rather than the other way around..........

Thanks very much for sharing your updates. I'm clutching onto the fact that you were once terrified and now enjoy your appointments! And congrats on the also awesome stylist options! Must feel incredible to have conquered your fears! I'm hoping I'll be able to say the same!

Wonderful!

Hair and teeth are the foundation to a man’s beauty.

Clean your shoes, put your shoulders back and down, and get out into that big world and take up a little space. You’ve earned it.

Thanks very much for sharing your updates. I'm clutching onto the fact that you were once terrified and now enjoy your appointments! And congrats on the also awesome stylist options! Must feel incredible to have conquered your fears! I'm hoping I'll be able to say the same!
Bless you! Yes these ladies have been absolute game changers for me. Life is so much easier since meeting them several months ago. If only she could come in and do it every night for me!!
From dental heaven with love. Simon XX

Back