• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Erupted wisdom tooth extraction and soft tissue replacement (post op)

B

Brettp

Round two and had the left side upper and lower wisdom teeth extracted two days ago. the right side were done just short of two months ago. both extractions done after a bad round of infection.

pain is an issue at the moment. bottom wisdom turned out to be erupted, and was removed while in the chair. took just under an hour of tugging, cutting and face pulling.

now sitting with a small piece of the inside of my cheek stitched to my gum, where the dentist has said this is needed to replace soft tissue lost during extraction. pain in the jaw is manageable with pain meds, however the inflammation and swelling from the cheek stitches is unbareable. is this normal? i am barely able to open my mouth, so even eating is a no go for a second day.

followup with the dentist, he gives it the all clear and simply a time game, deal with extreme pain for a few days, and it will go away.

any suggestions on how to cope with the pain, especially for sleep? painkillers wear off in roughly 2 hours, so sleep is a problem.

Wow sorry to hear about your experience...Are you rinsing with warm salt water?(or a prescription mouthwash) Have you tried alternating ibuprofen with Tylenol? I think those pain meds work really well..Otherwise I don't know what else you can do? Besides wait a couple days and see if things are better...Maybe eating on the other side and only soft foods? Hope you feel better soon:)

Wow sorry to hear about your experience...Are you rinsing with warm salt water?(or a prescription mouthwash) Have you tried alternating ibuprofen with Tylenol? I think those pain meds work really well..Otherwise I don't know what else you can do? Besides wait a couple days and see if things are better...Maybe eating on the other side and only soft foods? Hope you feel better soon:)

Thanks Lilly, have been prescribeed Myprodol as the choice painkiller, ibuprofen seems like a good choice to try. will put that to the test today

Hope the ibuprofen works for you:) I have atypical odontalgia where I have constant pain in my teeth and mouth and I am on amitriptyline but have breakthrough pain and ibuprofen helps me a lot! Good luck..

Back