• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Escaping my fear head on - First Root Canal Experience.

F

fearfacer

So, I have been petrified of the dentist since I was around 13(ish) and I am now 22. After a pretty shitty situation with an older dentist of mine, It took me many years to even step foot into an office. Well, I knew my teeth health was declining fast. I wasn't having much pain, but my tooth basically had a hole in from how large a cavity of mine got. I literally did not chew on that side of my mouth for 2 years because of it - just to give you clarity the extend of my fear. Well, after my bf forced to me to see a dentist, he told me the inevitable news of needing a root canal. My anxiety was out of the roof, I started balling right there in front of him. He put me on some antibiotics and I was off, with even more anxiety. It took me THREE more months until I got the courage to book an apt with a new dentist I felt more comfortable. Two days ago, the morning of my procedure I was literally shaking. I was able to take .75 mg of Xanax and also had laughing gas. I was CONVINCED my anxiety would outweigh any amount of meds, but boy was I wrong (thank goodness). They sat me in the chair and started to give me gas and I immediately hated it because the cold air felt odd in my throat, but I let myself go a bit since an assistant was sitting right next me. After 5-10 mins the dentist came up with a big needle and I didn't even flinch. In fact, she had to give me THREE syringe worth of novocain and I was able to sit still. Something about the mix of xanax and gas really helped. I felt completely like myself (not high or drunk - like some may fear.) I just felt relaxed, I even began asking questions about the tools they were using. Sadly, I had to break my session into two parts since the infected in my tooth was so bad. I am just thankful I was able to overcome my fears. It wasn't easy, but finding a gentle caring dentist + a combination of anti-anxiety meds will do you wonders.

I wish you all the best!

Back