• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Exam/ X rays today....I DID IT !!!

S

susiebond

...I had hardly any sleep last night...woke up CRYING @2:30 AM...3:30AM....4:30AM, working myself up about my scheduled 1:30 PM dental appointment....

After I got my kids off to school I did some housework but could not stop thinking about the dentist...what would they say about my terrible teeth....would I hear a lecture about how bad I was to neglect my teeth...?.I even thought about calling my husband to go along because I thought I would start crying and not be able to stop.....I could feel the "panic attack" starting....I sat down and read through some posts here and it calmed me down....
My mother in law gave me a ride and I started talking to her and guess what?...she also has some fears and had recently seen the dentist after not having care for 15+ years !
Once I got into the office I felt alittle nervous.... the hygenist took my history and I unloaded my fears/phobia/shame...she told me not to look back but to go forward...no one would judge..

I had 13 x rays and a comprehensive exam....

I meet with the dentist on 12/11 to formulate my plan and choices of treatment....

I DID IT....I went to the dentist after 20+ years....and had a POSITIVE experience !
I am looking forward to starting my dental care....I can't believe I'm saying this..."I'm looking forward to going to the dentist"!
Keep the faith...you can do it !

susiebond

Way to go Susie!!!   :jump:  You should be very, very proud of yourself and deserve a  :XXLhug: and a huge pat on the back.  Taking the first step can be the toughest but you managed to get through it.  I think it's great that you are looking forward to going back too.

I went after 17 years so I can appreciate how hard it is to go after such a long absence.  I did notice such a change in attitudes and the way I was treated.  Years ago we would have gotten the dreaded lecture..isn't it great that things have changed?  I'm glad that you had such an understanding hygenist too!

Please keep us posted on your continued success.

Take care,
Pam

Well done Susie :jump: :jump: Good luck for future appointments :thumbsup: Keep us posted!

Congratulations Susie :jump: I am glad it went so well
Keep us posted

Well done, keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Back