• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

EXCRUCIATING pain 8 days after wisdom teeth removal?

S

shirlygirly83

Is it normal to be in excruciating pain 8 days after wisdom tooth surgery? I had my wisdom teeth removed on Friday, July 1st. The entire process has been a nightmare. The first two days were as I expected. I was swollen, sore, and could only eat cool, mushy foods. By the third day I started getting sick from the one pain medication (Vicodin), so I had to stop taking it. Otherwise I have taken 600mg Ibuprofen and the antibiotic. I called my surgeon three days after the surgery in excruciating pain and they said it was to be expected. They said it would pass. Five days after surgery the pain had intensified so that my entire mouth was throbbing and it felt like a thousand pins were stabbing my gums where my gums and teeth meet. I demanded an appointment and they found nothing wrong. They switched me to a weaker pain medication (Tramadol), which at times does or does not work. It's now the eighth night since my wisdom teeth were taken out and I'm in a hotel room traveling for work in EXCRUCIATING pain. Whole mouth sore, throbbing, the pins and needles feeling constant. I took the medication at 4 and it seemed to work, then I took it again at 11 and it doesn't seem to be working. Has anyone had this experience? What did you do? The worst part about it all is that I'm a recovering alcoholic, so I NEVER unless it's absolutely 100 percent necessary, take pain medication when it's prescribed. I am flipping out that I'm still relying on this medication even though I'm only taking it twice a day, but it's so unbearable that I have no other choice. Help!!!
:cry: :cry:

carole

carole

Super Moderator
Hi it could be that you have some infection. Until you can get to see someone try cold packs held against your cheek on the side that is in pain. Rinse with cool salt water too, I found when the mouth is throbbing and painful like this that cold is your friend.

If you can go and see someone, even if you have to go somewhere else because it really does sound like you have either dry socket or and infection.

They sound very uncaring, you should be feeling better not worse by now. You will get mild soreness and maybe a bit of pain but this sounds extreme.

S

shirlygirly83

Thanks, Carol. When I saw the surgeon on Wednesday they said it didn't look like I had an infection. I was also taking antibiotics until they ran out last night. Now I'm wondering if I should call the surgeon to get the antibiotic refilled just in case. I'll also try to get an ice pack today, but since I'm traveling I don't have a freezer to keep it cold. I'll also try the salt water again...I haven't done that in a couple of days. The pain definitely feels like nerve pain, which is the worst pain I've ever felt after any surgery I've had done. Fortunately I took the pain medication again this morning and it's cut the pain in half to make it more manageable. I just want this to resolve immediately because I cannot stand the thought of taking an opiate pain medication for one more day.

carole

carole

Super Moderator
If you have been on antibiotics then they will still be working, they work up to 7 days after you stop taking them. I would wait and see how this is next week. Also if the pain meds help with the pain then it won't be dry socket. I don't know the dose you can take but take the pain meds in the amount recommended and give your mouth chance to heal.

You can buy cold drinks and use the bottle on your cheek. If you could buy a hot water bottle that would make a good cool pack, fill it with cold water from the tap. I did this and it works, I used to fill the bottle up with cold water on a night and sleep on it.

I know this isn't ideal as you are travelling but I think you would manage to be able to access a cold tap to fill the bottle.

I am sorry if this doesn't help you, and I really hope you feel a bit better soon. Sometimes things take longer to feel better and I think you will in the next few days. I know you don't like taking the tablets and I understand how you feel but if they help, use them. They won't do any damage and you will gain pain relief which will go a long way to you getting better.

S

shirlygirly83

Thank you again, Carole! I basically have an entire dentist's office in the hotel bathroom right now. I just got home, took Ibuprofen and Tramadol, rinsed with warm salt water for 5 minutes, then rinsed with peroxide sore mouth cleanser, THEN used a soft gum pick to very carefully pull an ENTIRE PIECE OF FOOD that had been lodged 1/2 of an inch down one of the wisdom tooth wounds in my mouth. Not sure which of these remedies worked, but I feel some relief and hope that it lasts. I'll keep doing all of the above while I'm away, plus apply cold bottles (thank you for that idea) to my cheeks, to see if I can make it through this trip without having to schedule an appointment with someone out of town. It was already hard enough to go through with the surgery, so I'd like to avoid the anxiety of having to find a dentist I've never met with before in a state on the other side of the country.

carole

carole

Super Moderator
I hope you are getting some relief by now, let us know how you get on. If things get worse and the pain meds stop working then do seek help form a dentist straight away. I am betting the food you found was causing your problems.

Good luck