• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Experiences with IV sedation

Hello, it's all done and they are healing well. Stitches dissolving etc.

I won't lie I was extremely anxious going in there. I know they are pushed for time but saw as I saw the guy coming towards me with the needle I lost my dignity a bit and started crying. It helped they let my OH in with me to hold my hand. He said soon as the IV was in I was giggling and mellow. I don't remember that bit though. I do remember parts of it though. I could feel them sucking excess fluid. And I remember them sewing some teeth, but I was so relaxed it didn't bother me. I was aware but ok with it. I even felt a pinch in my arm where they took blood pressure now and then.
I was fully with it when I got home but a little wobbly. No compulsions to buy anything!

All in all though it was a lot better than I thought and wouldn't hesitate with it next time.

Last edited:
Ogwen,

So glad this all turned out well and it went better than you thought, and a good dental experience it sounds! :) Hope you are healing up well!

Thanks for following up for us. I'm glad you got through it and it all went smoothly. Don't worry about the crying stuff, it happens frequently and nobody in the surgery cares, it just reinforces the fact that you really needed the IV sedation.

Glad you didn't succumb to a mad buying session too!

Well done @Ogwen ! You should be proud of yourself for going through with it all. Really glad the sedation helped. Hope you're healing well and thank you for the update :)

Hi @Ogwen, congratulations! I just wanted to say that I feel reassured reading about your experience. I am due to have IV sedation for two fillings soon, and hopefully a root canal fairly soon afterwards, and I have been scouring the forum for every story/experience to do with IV sedation (I have never had any dental treatment before and am hugely anxious). And you had removals which is huge! It's great to hear you had such a positive experience. Well done.

Thanks for following up for us. I'm glad you got through it and it all went smoothly. Don't worry about the crying stuff, it happens frequently and nobody in the surgery cares, it just reinforces the fact that you really needed the IV sedation.

Glad you didn't succumb to a mad buying session too!

Yes, I could not have done it without sedation that's for sure!
My OH wasn't taking chances he held my phone hostage for an HR or 2 so I couldn't go on Amazon etc

Hi @Ogwen, congratulations! I just wanted to say that I feel reassured reading about your experience. I am due to have IV sedation for two fillings soon, and hopefully a root canal fairly soon afterwards, and I have been scouring the forum for every story/experience to do with IV sedation (I have never had any dental treatment before and am hugely anxious). And you had removals which is huge! It's great to hear you had such a positive experience. Well done.

The nurses that help the dentist are great too they really put you at ease. With the IV sedation you will feel so chilled out, and relaxed you won't notice they are doing anything. After the first time you won't worry at all about the next time you have it done because you will know how easy it is.

Good luck with your appointments! You will be totally fine :)

My OH wasn't taking chances he held my phone hostage for an HR or 2 so I couldn't go on Amazon etc

:ROFLMAO: Could he pop up here and do the same for my wife for a wee while?