• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

expiearances with sedation and gas

mikey

mikey

Hi, me like many other people have probably had many expieriances with sedation and or nitrous gas. I'm trying to get a collection of peoples expierances with them so people that are new to that subject can choose what they feel is best for them. ;D
myn were
nitrous-you are aware of whats going on but you dont care too much.

IV sedation- when they stick the needle in you till the time your out cold is about 5 seconds-great for big procedures

nitrous = euphoric, "don't give a damn" feeling, totally aware and communicative, *FOR ME ONLY* it didn't ease my anxiety as much as I'd have liked, but I think it'd be great for me when I go for regular procedures = fillings, cleanings, etc..

halcion - an oral sedation method.. my dentist office administers this in several ways.. The DR I had last week had her nurse crush the pill to powder form, with the powder going under my tongue. I LITERALLY felt no different, and was worried that it hadn't done anything. Till I fell asleep, then the DR came in to give me my shots, and I just lazed thru those.. Fell asleep again, DR comes in, I felt a twinge of anxiety, began breathing, and next thing I know it's over..

with the halcion after - I also literally could not stand on my own. They had to wheel me out of the office, to my Mom's waiting car.. I nearly fell over.. I honestly did feel fine, but I was completely out of it.. The medicine completely blocks all anxiety reactions. It's great.. (Valium apparently works the same way.. dunno, only remember using it once and that was well over 20 years ago..)

What I need the sedation for is the shots, and if the work is going to be intensive = lots of pulling, pushing, and drilling (both extractions were like that for me - I have stubborn teeth)..