• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Exposed Dentine and Worn Molars - what to do?

Y

Y2K_o__o

My recent dental visit has pointed out I have some molars (#18 and #31 seems to be the worst) that have exposed dentin due to bruxism. I asked if anything can be done and he said nothing he can do but keep my diet with less sugar and acid. Some teeth shows a bit of pocket... I am worried that if I don't do anything, these teeth will get worse.

Now I have some occulsion problem due to the severely worn molars (As you can see the trench on both upper and lower jaw molar). My dentist suggest to do 8 crownings but my teeth structure were healthy and I don't want to do invasive stuff unless I have to. At this point, I am so lost......

In the meantime, I am going to another dentist to seek opinion. Does anyone has similar experience?:cry::cry:

abc.JPG

cde.JPG

Re: Expose Dentin & Worn Molar [W/ PICTURES~ BEWARE]

I second the less sugar and less acidic diet. Also, cut back on fizzy drinks like soda and sparkling mineral water. Do you have a nightguard? If not, it's time to get one to protect your teeth from further damage due to the grinding when you sleep at night.

If you also grind in the day time, work on consciously trying to kick the habit. It's hard I know, I have been battling consciously trying to stop clenching, and hopefully eventually not clenching/grinding will become a habit.

I personally wouldn't consider the crowns too if I was in your shoes. If there was no loss in function, getting crowns will be too much healthy tooth structure shaved off in my opinion.

I've treated lots of these.
Acidic diet is the major cause.
I would cover all the exposed dentin with Activa or composite. Note first the dentist must reduce the dentin in order to provide adequate thickness for strength and wear.

I second the less sugar and less acidic diet. Also, cut back on fizzy drinks like soda and sparkling mineral water. Do you have a nightguard? If not, it's time to get one to protect your teeth from further damage due to the grinding when you sleep at night.

If you also grind in the day time, work on consciously trying to kick the habit. It's hard I know, I have been battling consciously trying to stop clenching, and hopefully eventually not clenching/grinding will become a habit.

I personally wouldn't consider the crowns too if I was in your shoes. If there was no loss in function, getting crowns will be too much healthy tooth structure shaved off in my opinion.

A prescribed one is on its way now. Now I am protecting my teeth with a generic one, but works great.

Back