• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

extracting 8 baby teeth?

G

Former Member
My 6 year old went to the dentist for the first time today. The pediatric dentist was very sweet, thoughtful and made sure we were understanding him. Here's my question/fear. My son has lost 4 teeth--top 2 bottom 2, right in front. The dentist says there is some crowding and he wants to extract the teeth next to the missing ones to allow the others to move into place. From the x-ray, they are very near this point! Is it normal/safe/wise to take 8--yes 8--baby teeth out of my sweet son's mouth?
On top of wanting to pull all of those, my son has 3 others that HAVE to come out because the are infected. Are you keeping track---11 teeth in all.
What to you think?
Tina in Texas

Before I would subject my child to that many extractions, I would certainly get another opinion.

I think a second opinion is certainly in order for your child.

Glenn

I agree that you should get a second opinion. Of course without being able to assess the case it is impossible to comment whether I believe the teeth should be removed or not- it does seem quite drastic however.
Regards,
Mike

Back