• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extracting infected tooth and roots.

M

Matt R73

Would really really appreciate some help.

I'm due to have 2nd to last and last upper molars extracted . They both have infection at the root tips. I've read it's not safe with infection and also hard to get numb?

The last upper molar is also just retained roots and I have a small mouth so how the hell will the dentist get to it? The dentist also said he wouldn't need to cut the gum but my gum has almost covered it over?

Last edited:
Perfectly safe to get infected teeth out. It's the only way to get rid of the infection permanently. No worries there.

It can be slightly more difficult to get infected teeth numb. Not impossible by any means... sometimes they just need a little more anesthetic than normal.

Retained roots are typically really quick and easy to get out. If he said he wouldn't need to do anything special, then he's probably right.

Perfectly safe to get infected teeth out. It's the only way to get rid of the infection permanently. No worries there.

It can be slightly more difficult to get infected teeth numb. Not impossible by any means... sometimes they just need a little more anesthetic than normal.

Retained roots are typically really quick and easy to get out. If he said he wouldn't need to do anything special, then he's probably right.

A really stupid question but the dentist said I only need a 20 minute appointment and a lot of that would be waiting for the numbing. How quickly could they pop out?

If he said it will be a 20 minute appointment total I'm guessing they'll be out in 1-2 minutes.

A really stupid question but the dentist said I only need a 20 minute appointment and a lot of that would be waiting for the numbing. How quickly could they pop out?
If you have an oral surgeon who knows what they're doing and are good at it, your tooth will be out in 1-2 minutes. I just had tooth #14 extracted a few weeks ago and she had it out in about 30 seconds. Stitching it up took longer than the actual extraction.

Back