• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extraction and bone grafting tomorrow!! ??

K

Katbatt

Hello everyone!

To cut a long story short, I had a bike accident damaging two of my front teeth. One was extracted at the time of the accident, the other was built up in the hope that it could be salvaged. Unfortunately, this tooth has also failed and there is bone loss around this tooth as well as where the other one was extracted.....

So, tomorrow I am having the damaged tooth removed and two bone grafts done at the same time in preparation for eventual implants. I’m trying to keep calm about the whole situation but I’m finding it difficult.... I’m scared about having an even bigger gap, how the gum will look after, how painful it will be, how long it will take to heal, everything!

Anyone who has experienced this procedure please can you hopefully help put my mind at ease ?

Thank you all

I just had this done last month, on my front upper tooth. I had chipped it as a child, and it died slowly over the years, without me knowing it. It abscessed last year, causing a lot of bone loss.
Mine was extracted, and the oral surgeon did extensive bone grafting, and a bone wrap, where he had to cut a gum flap above my tooth, and put in a little block of cadaver bone, then sew the flap back. I don't know if that is what you are having or not. I also had a lot of chronic infection from the abscess so the surgeon had to manually scrape out infection. He also put in the implant the same day, but buried it and put a membrane on top.

If my experience is similar to what you are having done, I would be happy to share info with you on what it is like and what the gums looked like, and look like now.

I just had this done last month, on my front upper tooth. I had chipped it as a child, and it died slowly over the years, without me knowing it. It abscessed last year, causing a lot of bone loss.
Mine was extracted, and the oral surgeon did extensive bone grafting, and a bone wrap, where he had to cut a gum flap above my tooth, and put in a little block of cadaver bone, then sew the flap back. I don't know if that is what you are having or not. I also had a lot of chronic infection from the abscess so the surgeon had to manually scrape out infection. He also put in the implant the same day, but buried it and put a membrane on top.

If my experience is similar to what you are having done, I would be happy to share info with you on what it is like and what the gums looked like, and look like now.

I’m not having the implant put in, my surgeon would like it to heal for 4 months before he does the implant. But apart from that it sounds very similar to what you had. I would really appreciate any information or advice you might have, thank you so much for replying ?

I’m not having the implant put in, my surgeon would like it to heal for 4 months before he does the implant. But apart from that it sounds very similar to what you had. I would really appreciate any information or advice you might have, thank you so much for replying ?

The surgery and recovery wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. I had nitrous during the surgery and don't remember feeling any pulling or pressure, other than the initial shots.
I took an oxycodone as preventative pain killer after the surgery, for after the anesthetic wore off, but after that took only tylenol. The pain was not bad at all, which wasn't what I was expecting. I can't take anti-inflammatory meds, so the swelling was really bad...looked like I had gotten lip injections or punched in the mouth. The swelling lasted almost two weeks, but started going down after 5 days. It was very gradual.
Everything healed much more quickly than I had expected. The area where he did the bone wrap, and cut the gum flap, was very tender if touched, but didn't hurt on its own too much. It was mostly just sore, like a bruise. It would pull a little when I moved my lip, which hurt somewhat but was more just uncomfortable.
What I was not expecting was the parathesia. You may or may not experience that. The area from the extraction site to where my upper lip met my gums was completely numb for a whole two weeks. It felt so weird, but the surgeon said it was normal and could take months for the feeling to come back. I am now a little over a month past the surgery and almost all the feeling has come back. There is still a little numb spot right over the tooth.
The gums look really good. At first, with all the swelling and stitches, you can't even see anything. Don't be tempted to look...pulling up your lip may pull stitches out. At a little over a week past surgery, I still couldn't see anything because my lip was so swollen.
The gums where the extraction was done healed very quickly. The stitches took almost ten days to start coming out, and once they were out, everything started feeling better.
I will warn you that if you get the parathesia, don't be surprised if you actually experience more pain a few weeks after the surgery than right after. When ths feeling starts coming back, you start feeling achy in that area. Nothing tylenol can't take away, but it feels weird to start having pain where it didn't hurt before. I actually had where it hurt right under my nose, and felt like sinus pain.

My surgeon built up the gums with a membrane, and even though they have shrunk back quite a bit as they are healing, they still are down farther than my other surrounding gums, so that when he opens it up to test the implant, when it shrinks back more, it will match my other gums. I was really worried about how it would look, but was pleasantly surprised.

Do you have an implant already on the other tooth? You mentioned a gap, so I wondered if you are wearing a flipper right now, and if they will just add another tooth to it.

I was fully expecting to have to wait and get the implant after 4 to 6 months of healing, but my surgeon said that most of the bone loss was in the front and it tunneled back over my palate, but there was a good bone plate right behind the tooth where he could put the implant, so he wanted to go ahead and do it that day. I have had a LOT of work done on that tooth already, so I wasn't going to complain about one less procedure!

The surgery and recovery wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. I had nitrous during the surgery and don't remember feeling any pulling or pressure, other than the initial shots.
I took an oxycodone as preventative pain killer after the surgery, for after the anesthetic wore off, but after that took only tylenol. The pain was not bad at all, which wasn't what I was expecting. I can't take anti-inflammatory meds, so the swelling was really bad...looked like I had gotten lip injections or punched in the mouth. The swelling lasted almost two weeks, but started going down after 5 days. It was very gradual.
Everything healed much more quickly than I had expected. The area where he did the bone wrap, and cut the gum flap, was very tender if touched, but didn't hurt on its own too much. It was mostly just sore, like a bruise. It would pull a little when I moved my lip, which hurt somewhat but was more just uncomfortable.
What I was not expecting was the parathesia. You may or may not experience that. The area from the extraction site to where my upper lip met my gums was completely numb for a whole two weeks. It felt so weird, but the surgeon said it was normal and could take months for the feeling to come back. I am now a little over a month past the surgery and almost all the feeling has come back. There is still a little numb spot right over the tooth.
The gums look really good. At first, with all the swelling and stitches, you can't even see anything. Don't be tempted to look...pulling up your lip may pull stitches out. At a little over a week past surgery, I still couldn't see anything because my lip was so swollen.
The gums where the extraction was done healed very quickly. The stitches took almost ten days to start coming out, and once they were out, everything started feeling better.
I will warn you that if you get the parathesia, don't be surprised if you actually experience more pain a few weeks after the surgery than right after. When ths feeling starts coming back, you start feeling achy in that area. Nothing tylenol can't take away, but it feels weird to start having pain where it didn't hurt before. I actually had where it hurt right under my nose, and felt like sinus pain.

My surgeon built up the gums with a membrane, and even though they have shrunk back quite a bit as they are healing, they still are down farther than my other surrounding gums, so that when he opens it up to test the implant, when it shrinks back more, it will match my other gums. I was really worried about how it would look, but was pleasantly surprised.

Do you have an implant already on the other tooth? You mentioned a gap, so I wondered if you are wearing a flipper right now, and if they will just add another tooth to it.

I was fully expecting to have to wait and get the implant after 4 to 6 months of healing, but my surgeon said that most of the bone loss was in the front and it tunneled back over my palate, but there was a good bone plate right behind the tooth where he could put the implant, so he wanted to go ahead and do it that day. I have had a LOT of work done on that tooth already, so I wasn't going to complain about one less procedure!

Thank you so such for your detailed response! I’m so annoyed that I have to have the graft but I had a ct prior which showed that nearly all the bone has gone!!- maybe it isn’t as bad as it looked on the screen ? at the moment I have a flipper which they are adding a tooth to. What did you use as a temporary? My dentist said that it has a gap in between the gum and flipper so there is no pressure- I don’t understand how it will stay in?! So many uncertainties, who knew teeth could be so much trouble! Thank you so much for making me feel better about it all though, at least by this time tomorrow it will be over and done with.

Thank you so such for your detailed response! I’m so annoyed that I have to have the graft but I had a ct prior which showed that nearly all the bone has gone!!- maybe it isn’t as bad as it looked on the screen ? at the moment I have a flipper which they are adding a tooth to. What did you use as a temporary? My dentist said that it has a gap in between the gum and flipper so there is no pressure- I don’t understand how it will stay in?! So many uncertainties, who knew teeth could be so much trouble! Thank you so much for making me feel better about it all though, at least by this time tomorrow it will be over and done with.

I hope it goes well for you! I had a great deal of bone loss as well, but mine was mostly at the root tip and then it funneled backwards. The grafting itself is no big deal. They just put something that looks like granules in the socket and sew a membrane on top. I have had that done on a molar extraction. I had to have the bone wrap since I had previously had an apicoectomy, and was missing bone on the front, above my tooth. You may not need that, if they didn't tell you specifically.

I have a flipper as well. The oral surgeon ground out a dip in it right where the tooth meets the gums. It will fit the same across the palate. I actually asked a few days ago, here, about it being loose, because mine gets looser throughout the day, as it pushes my back molars a bit. I was told to use a bit of denture adhesive to help keep it in place.

I hope it goes well for you! I had a great deal of bone loss as well, but mine was mostly at the root tip and then it funneled backwards. The grafting itself is no big deal. They just put something that looks like granules in the socket and sew a membrane on top. I have had that done on a molar extraction. I had to have the bone wrap since I had previously had an apicoectomy, and was missing bone on the front, above my tooth. You may not need that, if they didn't tell you specifically.

I have a flipper as well. The oral surgeon ground out a dip in it right where the tooth meets the gums. It will fit the same across the palate. I actually asked a few days ago, here, about it being loose, because mine gets looser throughout the day, as it pushes my back molars a bit. I was told to use a bit of denture adhesive to help keep it in place.

i did it!! I feel so relieved! Took quite a long time but of course couldn’t feel a thing. Had to have a little extra anaesthesia during as I had a small infection at the top of the tooth which was damaged so I could feel some discomfort. All in all it was ok though, I’m now sat with some ice on my face hoping I don’t swell up too much!

When are you having your implant put it? Can’t be long now?

Thanks again for your support

i did it!! I feel so relieved! Took quite a long time but of course couldn’t feel a thing. Had to have a little extra anaesthesia during as I had a small infection at the top of the tooth which was damaged so I could feel some discomfort. All in all it was ok though, I’m now sat with some ice on my face hoping I don’t swell up too much!

When are you having your implant put it? Can’t be long now?

Thanks again for your support

Yay! So glad it went well. Hoping for quick healing!

I had my implant post in at the time of surgery, so I have an appointment in January to open it up and do the torque test, then if it is good, the surgeon will let my dentist know. Then I will have to get impressions done, then at least 3 weeks for the crowns. So I am hoping for late February/early March.

O yes you did say! That’s great- your very nearly done then ?

My lip is puffing out- I’m not sure if it’s the bone graft, swelling or post injection swelling. I’m wondering if that is the shape of my face now?! Only time will tell I suppose.

I haven’t heard of the torque test? Will have to do some research although I’ve got a little while yet ?

O yes you did say! That’s great- your very nearly done then ?

My lip is puffing out- I’m not sure if it’s the bone graft, swelling or post injection swelling. I’m wondering if that is the shape of my face now?! Only time will tell I suppose.

I haven’t heard of the torque test? Will have to do some research although I’ve got a little while yet ?

Oh yes the swelling will seem horrendous at first, but it will go down eventually. You may get a bruise as well, but it won't show up for a few days. I looked like I had a mustache. It was awful.
Be prepared to avoid blowing your nose for about a week. Believe me, it hurts. My oral surgeon said to take some sudafed to help stuffiness, if needed.

The torque test is easy. They just put a little tool in the implant and twist it, to make sure it doesn't move. That determines whether the implant is integrated or not.

Oh yes the swelling will seem horrendous at first, but it will go down eventually. You may get a bruise as well, but it won't show up for a few days. I looked like I had a mustache. It was awful.
Be prepared to avoid blowing your nose for about a week. Believe me, it hurts. My oral surgeon said to take some sudafed to help stuffiness, if needed.

The torque test is easy. They just put a little tool in the implant and twist it, to make sure it doesn't move. That determines whether the implant is integrated or not.

The swelling is so much worse than I had hoped- I also had a little peak at my gum and it looks awful. I don’t see how I can wear my flipper- there is no way it will fit. Is it going to look like this for a long time? Perhaps it’s because I had two grafts at the same time?

I was hoping I would be able to go back to work soon but I don’t see how I can like this!

Did they not have you wear the flipper out of the office? I was told to leave mine in for 48 hours straight. I didn't even look at the gums until after three days. They will look bad for at least until the swelling goes down, but it will get better.

I work from home thankfully, but I wasn't able to even take my kids to the bus stop for two days, as the swelling was so bad.

I was surprised at the amount of swelling as well. My lip was so swollen it was super tight and I felt like it would burst. It will go down.

If you can keep the flipper in, it actually is easier than taking it out and putting it back in. You will probably have to get it adjusted once the swelling goes down. I had to have mine adjusted three times in two weeks, but now it fits okay.

I wore the flipper home and it was fine but was advised to try and not wear it as much as possible for the first two weeks. I haven’t worn it since as luckily I’m not in work this week (I do shift work). The gum looks horrible, I’m doing saline rinses as much as I can to speed up healing. I guess I just have to wait, the swelling in my face is a bit better today actually.

Goodness having it done was easy- the healing parts the worst! Thanks so much for letting me know your experience, makes me feel so much better knowing it will be ok eventually.

I wore the flipper home and it was fine but was advised to try and not wear it as much as possible for the first two weeks. I haven’t worn it since as luckily I’m not in work this week (I do shift work). The gum looks horrible, I’m doing saline rinses as much as I can to speed up healing. I guess I just have to wait, the swelling in my face is a bit better today actually.

Goodness having it done was easy- the healing parts the worst! Thanks so much for letting me know your experience, makes me feel so much better knowing it will be ok eventually.

The first two weeks were the worst for sure. Yes, the healing part is definitely awful. You will start feeling better soon, though, and the gums will look better in about a week. Mine still look rough above the tooth, since I had part of that bone removed and a bone wrap put in. It is a different color but it is finally starting to lose the "ridge" where the stitches were.

I wonder why I was told to wear it straight for 48 hours, and you were told not to wear it as much as possible? Odd. I barely wear mine now when I don't have to go out, although the space feels so weird.

Back