• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extraction/bone graft in a couple weeks.

J

Jack34jack

Hello!
Back story:
I finally went to the dentist in September after not going for 10 years. I ended up needing 2 root canals/with crown, an extraction/bone graft, and 7 cavities.
:::SO FAR:::
-Ive had the 2 root canals. These werent bad at all. Just like fillings but took a little longer.

-temporary crown on one of the root canal’d teeth. Permanent goes on this coming Tuesday. Other tooth is awaiting temp crown. Getting the temp crown was awful…the smell of drilled/sa!! Yuck.

-extraction/bone graft for #18 in two weeks

I was supposed to do the extraction/bone graft on Monday but the periodontist freaked out on me after I gagged hard when he shoved his fingers with qtip of lidocain into my mouth. I asked for nitrous and he said no because it wouldnt help with gagging (which is a lie). He said I needed an oral surgeon who will sedate me. :rolleyes: So I made an appointment with an oral surgeon for consult and surgery on the same day (i hate consult and surgery on different days)

My tooth is really loose and theres a lot of bone loss around the root. “Grand Canyon” as the jerk periodontist put it. From reading the posts on here, it seems like an extraction is very quick. The periodontist said the procedure would be like 15-20 mins (extract tooth, clean out the socket, place bone, stitches). His dental assistant said the tooth will be out in seconds. I’ll be doing IV sedation for this at the oral surgeon…since it appears that they dont offer nitrous. I feel a little dumb because it seems like overkill to do IV sedation for something so quick, but I also just want this over and done with.

has anyone done IV sedation for a short procedure? Can you share your experience? Will I be super groggy after? Im really sensitive to medication and this is such a basic procedure.
Im also nervous for after care because I passed out years ago after getting my wisdom teeth out. I was knocked out under general for that though and that was a more indepth procedure.

I can’t speak for IV sedation as I had nitrous, but I have had four extractions and bone grafts now. The after care is not bad. Since you will have bone grafting, there won’t be a hole, and you don’t have to worry about a clot. With two of mine, even with stitches, pieces of bone grafting material worked their way through the gums during the whole healing time of four months and I freaked out, but both times it still healed properly and I was able to get my implants on time.
Don’t worry about having sedation for a short procedure. It wouldn’t feel so short if you didn’t have it due to your anxiety. I had nitrous oxide for a very quick extraction of a small, extra wisdom tooth. They said it would take 15-20 minutes and it actually took less than that. However, I was so nervous that I don’t think I would have made it through without it.

I can’t speak for IV sedation as I had nitrous, but I have had four extractions and bone grafts now. The after care is not bad. Since you will have bone grafting, there won’t be a hole, and you don’t have to worry about a clot. With two of mine, even with stitches, pieces of bone grafting material worked their way through the gums during the whole healing time of four months and I freaked out, but both times it still healed properly and I was able to get my implants on time.
Don’t worry about having sedation for a short procedure. It wouldn’t feel so short if you didn’t have it due to your anxiety. I had nitrous oxide for a very quick extraction of a small, extra wisdom tooth. They said it would take 15-20 minutes and it actually took less than that. However, I was so nervous that I don’t think I would have made it through without it.
Thank you! The bone grafting material coming out sounds weird :( i hope its not anything too obvious or gross!
im positive id be ok with just nitrous but at this point Im like just knock me out haha.

so tonight i was eating a grilled cheese sandwich with bread that was fairly thick/chewy. I didnt chew on the side with the temp crown and tooth that needs to be extracted. I got up after eating and then noticed that my lips/lower cheek on that side was twitchy, especially when i smiled.

I have a heating pad on that area for now though im not sure if its related to the temp crown or bad tooth. ? Ive done a salt water rinse and brushed my teeth. I dont have any numbness. Just twitchy when i smile. So now Im freaked out and not sure if I call the oral surgeon or the dentist in the morning. Im scared to google this too. :/

Going to the oral surgeon today for my consult. Thankfully something opened up today rather than waiting for my original appointment on the 19th.
Im so nervous but I dont know why. I guess its because we are going to go over sedation options. Im on the fence about IV sedation bc my procedure is short and so straightforward. But then again, Im not sure if Id be ok with just like l, Valium and gas.

Ok so Im for sure getting IV sedation and now Im just…scared. My surgery is at 10am and im supposed to fast for 8 hours but i dont think I can. They said i cant even drink water….just have a couple small sips to take xanax an hour before.

Im so anxious about it now…like Im going to die if I take a sip of juice

Ok so Im for sure getting IV sedation and now Im just…scared. My surgery is at 10am and im supposed to fast for 8 hours but i dont think I can. They said i cant even drink water….just have a couple small sips to take xanax an hour before.

Im so anxious about it now…like Im going to die if I take a sip of juice
How did the oral surgery go? I have an upcoming surgery with IV sedation. I am so nervous because they asked me to take Valium to put me to sleep and I don’t know how to swallow pills. It’s going to be a challenge. More to it, my primary doctor prescribed me liquid antibiotics to drink. Instruction said to drink plenty of liquid. But I am not supposed to drink too much water.

How did the oral surgery go? I have an upcoming surgery with IV sedation. I am so nervous because they asked me to take Valium to put me to sleep and I don’t know how to swallow pills. It’s going to be a challenge. More to it, my primary doctor prescribed me liquid antibiotics to drink. Instruction said to drink plenty of liquid. But I am not supposed to drink too much water.
The surgery was a breeze. Once they stick the IV in, youre essentially “out”. They gave me laughing gas beforehand they did the IV. I only took .25mg of xanax before the procedure. After the procedure, I sat in a recovery room for like 30mins and then went home. I didnt have anyone with me at home but i was able to take care of myself.

As for drinking water before the procedure, i had small sips a couple hours before and was fine. Talk to your surgeon about that.

The surgery was a breeze. Once they stick the IV in, youre essentially “out”. They gave me laughing gas beforehand they did the IV. I only took .25mg of xanax before the procedure. After the procedure, I sat in a recovery room for like 30mins and then went home. I didnt have anyone with me at home but i was able to take care of myself.

As for drinking water before the procedure, i had small sips a couple hours before and was fine. Talk to your surgeon about that.
Thank you. Did they measure your weight before determining how much drug to inject? I lost 5lbs since my tooth is broken. Originally 100lbs and now only 95lbs. At hospital, they also measure height and weight, just not sure about dental office. Yes, will definitely email the surgeon though usually it’s someone else answer it without consulting with the surgeon. :(

@Kate2022
Thank you. Did they measure your weight before determining how much drug to inject? I lost 5lbs since my tooth is broken. Originally 100lbs and now only 95lbs. At hospital, they also measure height and weight, just not sure about dental office. Yes, will definitely email the surgeon though usually it’s someone else answer it without consulting with the surgeon. :(

They didnt measure before. But they did at the consult. Surgery was like 3 weeks later.

If youre just getting an extraction, its usually pretty quick. My procedure w the extraction and graft was like maybe 10-15 mins once the IV hit. I think thats why i was ok with a few sips of water. But always check with a doctor.

@Kalyse Mine is going to be extraction, bone graft and implant. Surgeon said it will last about 40 minutes up to an hour. Not sure how they determine if someone can handle all three at the same time. The consultation was very short (less than 10 minutes) and they didn’t ask too much questions about my health nor measure my height and weight which it seemed a bit odd. Btw, how was your recovery?

@Kalyse Mine is going to be extraction, bone graft and implant. Surgeon said it will last about 40 minutes up to an hour. Not sure how they determine if someone can handle all three at the same time. The consultation was very short (less than 10 minutes) and they didn’t ask too much questions about my health nor measure my height and weight which it seemed a bit odd. Btw, how was your recovery?
Theyll probably do all that when you go in for the procedure.
My recovery was…rough. Mine was a back molar, so i had really bad TMJ issues from clenching my jaw so much. I was also by myself so that didnt help much either. I didnt really have any pain in the extraction site though. I never needed the pain killers. Just have someone with you to get you food and whatever else.

Theyll probably do all that when you go in for the procedure.
My recovery was…rough. Mine was a back molar, so i had really bad TMJ issues from clenching my jaw so much. I was also by myself so that didnt help much either. I @Kalyse didnt really have any pain in the extraction site though. I never needed the pain killers. Just have someone with you to get you food and whatever else.
I am sorry to hear that the recovery was rough. Hope the end result was great and everything worked out for you. I had infected in my throat, so my surgery has been postponed from 4/26 to 5/10. Need to wait for 10 more days. I am still struggling putting my tooth flipper. I had an accident with my upper front tooth. I feels so uncomfortable with front tooth missing. It feels like my other teeth are falling out. And luckily we are wearing mask now. Not sure how I can heal this psychologically. My family is living with me and my dad cooks for me. So at least I don’t have to worry about food.

Back