• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extraction but rather save tooth

J

Jackswan

Hi
Had a filling come out just over six months ago and was told that the tooth would have to be extracted as there was some decay below it.
The tooth in question is a molar last one on lower right next to a wisdom tooth.
Asked at the time whether it could be repaired with a root canal and was told reluctantly, that it was possible, but was told that he would recommend extracting it. He then did a temporary filling and would see me in six months.
Fast forward six months, had a check up, nothing mentioned about the tooth. But within a week the temporary filling has fallen out. So just been back, not suffering any pain in tooth and the dentist recommended extracting the tooth again. Asked about a root canal and he says that there is decay below the bone and it would not be successful. He has now put in a temporary filling again and I was told to think about an extraction.
This is a NHS dentist and been going to the same practice for about 10 years for regular check ups, last X-ray on my teeth was about 2 years ago and this is what he keeps referring to regarding the decay.
The last thing I want to lose are any teeth, but surely something should have been done about any decay some time ago. I would have thought that anything possible would be done to save a tooth?

Hi
Had a filling come out just over six months ago and was told that the tooth would have to be extracted as there was some decay below it.
The tooth in question is a molar last one on lower right next to a wisdom tooth.
Asked at the time whether it could be repaired with a root canal and was told reluctantly, that it was possible, but was told that he would recommend extracting it. He then did a temporary filling and would see me in six months.
Fast forward six months, had a check up, nothing mentioned about the tooth. But within a week the temporary filling has fallen out. So just been back, not suffering any pain in tooth and the dentist recommended extracting the tooth again. Asked about a root canal and he says that there is decay below the bone and it would not be successful. He has now put in a temporary filling again and I was told to think about an extraction.
This is a NHS dentist and been going to the same practice for about 10 years for regular check ups, last X-ray on my teeth was about 2 years ago and this is what he keeps referring to regarding the decay.
The last thing I want to lose are any teeth, but surely something should have been done about any decay some time ago. I would have thought that anything possible would be done to save a tooth?

sounds alot like what happened to me except it was a chunk of tooth that came off instead of the filling, it never gave me any pain whatsoever (thank God as i had a slipped disc at the time and couldn't move) they said to me either root canal or pulled, i asked my dentist what he would do and he said have it out and so i did. like you, i do not understand why decay wasn't spotted sooner and something done about it, im on nhs too and the previous dentist never took any xrays and never done anything apart from one filling in about 4 years. i can see many of my teeth now going to pot because he didn't bother to do anything, thankfully i have a brilliant dentist now.

i can't tell you what you should do the decision is yours though. usually they do like to save the tooth. good luck though.

just to add, i had a root canal years ago and its just starting to play up, i would rather have them out, but thats me. :)

Back