• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extraction causing serious anxiety?

N

NervousGirl19

Hey all, I had tooth LL6 (lower left molar) removed on Friday because it was infected. Since then I have been in a constant state of anxiety about anything happening to it.

I have a low pain tolerance and am really squeamish so even though I should be on soft normal food by now I haven’t gotten past eating stuff like yoghurt and drinking milkshakes for the calories (because I haven’t been eating).

I’m trying to pluck up the courage to eat some soft pasta but I keep getting this sinking feeling that I will injure the socket or cause myself pain in some way.

Can anyone help? Am I being too nervous right now or is there just cause to still be on liquids 4 days after extraction? Is it safe to try and eat pasta when the extraction is filled over with white tissue (healing)?

Thank you in advance for any replies!

Hi there, not a dentist but think starting to eat normally is a gradual process and your body will tell you what is ok and what not. Starting with some normal food chewed carefully on the other side of your mouth and see how it goes should be ok.

Hi there, not a dentist but think starting to eat normally is a gradual process and your body will tell you what is ok and what not. Starting with some normal food chewed carefully on the other side of your mouth and see how it goes should be ok.

Hi, thank you for replying to me Enarete! I’m going to try my best to eat some pasta.

I find the trick, for me at least, it was to start with ease food and to gradually increase the variety of what I eat. As Enarete mentioned, I would do most of the work with the side that is ok. Sometimes the simple fact of eating will open the appetite and push me to try more stuff, other times I prefer to stick with what I know is ok. As long as the dentist said you should be fine by now.

I find the trick, for me at least, it was to start with ease food and to gradually increase the variety of what I eat. As Enarete mentioned, I would do most of the work with the side that is ok. Sometimes the simple fact of eating will open the appetite and push me to try more stuff, other times I prefer to stick with what I know is ok. As long as the dentist said you should be fine by now.

Thank you! I did manage to eat some pasta last night (very, very slowly) and it wasn’t so bad! It hurt a bit because my back left molar is a bit unstable cause of the tooth next to it being gone but for the most part it was okay to chew.

Nervousgirl19

Glad you managed to eat a bit. I hope it gets a little better for you each day!

Nervousgirl19

Glad you managed to eat a bit. I hope it gets a little better for you each day!

Thank you! I’m feeling a bit better today than I was yesterday but I’m still very paranoid every time anything changes in the socket.

Great you are feeling better! Im going to have extraction next week on Thrusday morning. 1st molar and wisdom teeth. How was your pain 24hrs later? My appointment will be at 10 am and I need to work next day at 7pm. I dont want to cancel to my client because I need the money to keep paying for my dental treatment.

How about fresh juice, soft macroni cheese , ensure , banana, soft bread with jam etc for few days? There is no need to rush. After 2/3 weeks u will start eating automatically. Take it easy for the time being. Gradually once u start healing u will add more food.

Hey all, I had tooth LL6 (lower left molar) removed on Friday because it was infected. Since then I have been in a constant state of anxiety about anything happening to it.

I have a low pain tolerance and am really squeamish so even though I should be on soft normal food by now I haven’t gotten past eating stuff like yoghurt and drinking milkshakes for the calories (because I haven’t been eating).

I’m trying to pluck up the courage to eat some soft pasta but I keep getting this sinking feeling that I will injure the socket or cause myself pain in some way.

Can anyone help? Am I being too nervous right now or is there just cause to still be on liquids 4 days after extraction? Is it safe to try and eat pasta when the extraction is filled over with white tissue (healing)?

Thank you in advance for any replies!

I can empathise. Two months after mine (6 teeth) I still can't eat normally. If it gets to the point you are worried about your nutrition though, you can ask your GP for supplement drinks. They are expensive to buy off prescription, but my GP gave a couple of months worth on prescription. Probably all that's keeping me alive. Ice cream might also go down ok.

Good luck

Back