• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extraction fear

J

jk1211

Have first extraction ever tomorrow on lower first molar #30. It has a previous root canal that failed with access as the apex of a root. Which is draining out the small drain point in my gum between 31 and 32. Not much is draining really anymore after the dentist initially opened it about 2 weeks ago and was on 10 days of 500mg amox 3/day.

My periodontist is doing the extraction. Both my dentist and him didnt think the chances of retreatment were high (dont know why but both said it) There was definitely a 10mm+ pocket in the tooth so maybe there is bone loss going on, I dont know.

Anyway it is obviously a surgical extraction- cut the gum remove a little bone maybe. And section the tooth due to the root canal making it brittle. None of that bother me. Have 4 root canals in my mouth total, full top crowns, and full top crown lengthening (in 1 sitting and no issue or pain) with this perio, so the drill sound is nothing.

My fear is, and I know its irrational but no matter how many times I tell myself, has flared my anxiety for days now- is the pressure pulling the tooth. I hate the thought of pressure against my tooth and feeling it.

I assume with the root canal and sectioning that there wont be anywhere near the pressure of pulling a healthy regular tooth to try to avoid breaking it or the roots (not that I know how that feels either). But I've seen it done online with physics forceps and an elevator.

The physics forceps just look way more painful with that rotational motion and constant pressure. Are they normally used for a root canal tooth extraction? (sounds odd with how brittle the tooth is).

The real question is how much pressure will I reasonably feel or probably very little when numb due to the sectioning and trying to avoid breaking the tooth/roots due to them being dead?

Hello jk1211 I’m not sure about root canal extraction ..... that’s what I am due to have on the 1st August! Nervous aswell. But I had a lower molar removed today that was a broken tooth and had a filling due to twinges and discomfort... the actual pressure from pulling the tooth was not that bad to be honest my concern and fear is the next couple days to be honest, I’m just praying there’s not much pain none if any and it heals correctly! Hope someone comments that can fully help you out

I had #30 extracted a few months ago. It did not have a root canal, but my tooth broke and he had to extract the roots separately. It was the first time I had an extraction done without nitrous, as my dentist doesn't offer it. I absolutely hate the pressure feeling as well, and ended up asking my doctor for an oral sedative (lorazepam). That helped me chill a little and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I had an upper 2nd molar extracted, which did have a root canal, and it was much easier. Mine did not break, even though they warned me it might, and it took less than 10 minutes, with very little pressure.

Hi,

I find your concern to be very reasonable and “rational”. I urge you to share it with your periodontist and surely they will accommodate. The fact that there is a deep pocket means that hardly any force is needed to extract that specific root. In fact, I doubt whether forceps will be needed (especially if the molar is splinted).
Given the fact that your periodontist is performing the extraction, they will probably try to preserve as much bone as possible for a future implant. That usually means gentle handling with the tissue and hardly any force.
All the best.

Back