• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extraction fear!

S

Stephanie1

Hello everyone.

I'm currently sat working myself up! Long story short, my teeth suffered whilst I was pregnant/breastfeeding. I began to rectify this once I built up the courage. So far I've had 4 fillings, 1 infection and an extraction.

One of my 4 fillings is causing some slight discomfort after eating. It was done on the 17th. I'm frightened to death it'll need taking out. I panicked so bad during my last extraction I grabbed the dentist by the wrist and tried to fight him off.. this was after 7 injections!

I'm just curious as to what the throbbing could be. It's not constant and its after eating. It's not painful enough to take painkillers and it's not getting worse but I'm getting concerned. My anxiety is through the roof right now.

Thanks for reading.

Hi Stephanie :welcome:,

Sorry to read about the your fight with the dentist. So you weren‘t properly numbed?
Was it a white filling? I am not a dentist, but fillings sometimes need a bit of time to settle and 17th is just few days back. I remember I wasn‘t able to eat on my filled tooth for about one week. By the way extraction is always the last resort so even if the pain wouldn‘t subside, there would be still ways for you to keep the tooth.

Hope this helps until a dentist replies

Hi,

Your fear of an additional extraction is very understandable and I can assure you: this not the case. It certainly does not sound like any of the filled teeth needs an extraction.
I would suggest waiting a few more days and see whether the sensitivity disappear. If it does not go away, probably a dental cleaning will solve it. If not, your dentist should have a look and diagnose the situation. Again: it is certainly not for an extraction.

Hi Stephanie :welcome:,

Sorry to read about the your fight with the dentist. So you weren‘t properly numbed?
Was it a white filling? I am not a dentist, but fillings sometimes need a bit of time to settle and 17th is just few days back. I remember I wasn‘t able to eat on my filled tooth for about one week. By the way extraction is always the last resort so even if the pain wouldn‘t subside, there would be still ways for you to keep the tooth.

Hope this helps until a dentist replies
I was numbed properly but I think nerves got the better of me and I started to panic as the tooth was coming out.
Yes it was a white filling. I'm hoping it just needs time to adjust.

Hi,

Your fear of an additional extraction is very understandable and I can assure you: this not the case. It certainly does not sound like any of the filled teeth needs an extraction.
I would suggest waiting a few more days and see whether the sensitivity disappear. If it does not go away, probably a dental cleaning will solve it. If not, your dentist should have a look and diagnose the situation. Again: it is certainly not for an extraction.
Thank you for this reply.

The discomfort has settled down since I posted this. I think I'm just getting worked up because any time I've had a filling I haven't had any after care issues.. aside from the tooth that I had extracted. That filling was banging down on my nerve when I ate.

Thank is again for your reply. I'll watch and wait.

I wonder if maybe the filling is a little high since you mentioned pain after eating. Something similar to this happened to me with a crown. During the day it was fine but after meals I was definitively aware that something felt off with the crown, not super painful but weird. After a week I saw the dentist again and they were able to make some adjustments so the weird feeling went away.

Back