• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extraction fears

E

Emma Hoyle

With the support of this group I have been able to go to my dentist a number of times . For 2 fillings , clean and polish and examinations, tomorrow is the day the more invasive procedures start . I need 12 teeth out I’m total, they’re are looking at removing 3 tomorrow , if I’m tolerating it ok they will try for another 3 in the same appointment. As you can imagine I feel sick as the prospect has anyone got any positive stories to ease my anxiety xx

Hey there. I had 3 taken out last week. 2 wisdom teeth and 1 failed crown. It's definitely an adjustment. Don't hesitate to tell your dentist if you feel pain. There's noise and the sensation of pressure but with proper anesthesia no pain. Prep your foods before you go, you might not want to have to deal with meal prep after. For the first 3 days I was terrified to eat or drink anything other than water and broth and if that's all you can also manage that's perfectly fine. Go with what is comfortable for you. I had some mild swelling but with the ibuprofen it was ok. I had my headphones on the whole time.

You'll be ok. When you need to take a break don't hesitate to signal you need a breather. Maybe work out a hand signal for PAIN! And BREAK! So the dentist and assistant are aware to look for your signal.

Just breathe through the process. It can feel really overwhelming but it will be over faster than you might think.

I really appreciate you responding , the pain of living with these teeth has got to be less than the recovery of removal xx

It is amazing how much we will tolerate to avoid what we are anxious over but you can do it. Just remember, don't hesitate to let your dentist know if you need a quick minute to center yourself and be ok.

Thank you I appreciate your message xx

I had to have all my top teeth pulled and the majority of the bottom ones. Do you have the option of sedation dentistry? Getting it all done at once was the best for me in the long run.

Good luck today Emma 🤗

@sarasue71 I’m not sure actually I’ve not discussed it xx

Good luck today @Emma Hoyle!

I don’t know if this will be helpful, but 3 weeks ago I had four teeth taken (all upper fronts), and although I was put under general for the procedure, I was awake for the recovery and after effects and it wasn’t too bad!

I know you’re anxious about the procedure itself, and since I was unconscious, I can’t really tell you about what it was like. But I will say when I woke up after, I thought I would panic, and I did a little, but it was very distant. Kind of an “oh this is over now thing, so time to move on to the next part.”

Once I got home and settled, I really just focused on the recovery and why I was doing this.

You got this! You’re going to be okay!

Thank you everyone .I’m just home after 6 extractions I was awake for the procedure, the extractions were fine I had zero pain - apart from the brief discomfort from the injections .

Just at home with a ice pack , I appreciate everyone and this group .

Never in a millions years did I think I would have been able to book a appointment never mind be on
4th appointment .

You are doing great!!!! Hope your recovery keeps going smoothly!!

Back