• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extraction for Friday

N

Natzuk

Hello
I am having a bad tooth taken out on Friday although if it’s infected I doubt they will ?
I am so scared but I know it’ needs doing .
Have found a fantastic dentist and she even did my filling without any anaesthetic!!
First time for me I was so proud!!
She’s an oral surgeon and an aesthetic doctor so I feel a lot more confident with her .

The only concern is last time I had local anaesthetic as my old dentist after it I was absolutely exhausted and kept falling asleep and having too wake myself up because I was scared !!

I did cry a lot and was a mess before that anaesthetic was given too me so my question is , did I feel that way because I was so worked up ?
Or is it normal too have that kind of reaction?

No adrenaline was used by the way !

I’m going to try and do some meditation every day before Friday etc so I can cope with the procedure although I’ve been told I’ll be fine and honestly won’t feel anything.

Thanks

excited for you to update on how things go. i am terrified of the local stuff they give which is why i am terrified of going to the dentist.

i remember not feeling myself after the injection, but to be fair, this was years ago.

@Natzuk ,, just want to say glad you have a dentist you feel comfortable with it sounds, that can make alot of difference! Sounds like a rough time with the anesthetic with the old dentist. Does she know that experience? I bet if you brought it up , she would be extra cautious and watchful. Sounds like you are doing all the right things, usually the worst part is the worry leading up to it! All the best! Let us know how it goes!

@krlovesherkids777 thanks for the message.
She tried twice but saw how much it was causing me issues so we stopped .
She’s the best dentist but she didn’t want too put me through it much more .
I was numb but I’m hypersensitive too things and found it traumatic I heard the crunch and I just couldn’t continue so I’ll be referred for a general anaesthetic but could be a long wait .
I have an abscess so have antibiotics and I know I’ll keep getting them until the tooth’s out .
I know i should of just done it but I have lots of health anxiety I’m autistic and I can’t go through the trauma.

I know I’ll cope better with a general anaesthetic.

@fearfulteefies
Found it traumatic two attempts and I just couldn’t continue.

I need to be put asleep so will be a long wait for me unfortunately.
X

Hello Natzuk,

So proud of you!! I think it is really awesome you knew what you could handle and stopped when you knew it would be too much or traumatizing. Lots of credit to that dentist too for not going forward. I know it may be an initial bummer it didn't happen fully, but really I hope you know this is a huge step and we all need to do what makes you the most comfortable. I would have done the same! I hope they can get you in sooner than expected.. sometimes if you call and ask for cancellations you just may.. :grouphug:

@krlovesherkids777
Thank you so much .
I just wish it could of been taken out as am scared of getting more infections 😢.
I have my fingers crossed I can get my referral soon because my mental health and worries are not great .
Scared too eat on the side of my mouth now and because I’ve had eating disorder it’s bringing back a lot of memories that am not able too cope with .

Going too do my best too keep pushing to be seen at least before the end of the year .

Thanks once again

Natzuk,

I can empathize with you on being scared to eat on that side, its real and you want to avoid and its totally frustrating not being able to eat what you like too. I've been there more times than I want to say on that avoidance. Sounds really hard also with the memories of the eating disorder . I bet there are some stories ,testimonies you could identify with here on that very thing, I know I am encouraged reading the struggles of others going through similiar , its so validating. I really hope they can get you in sooner :grouphug:

Back