• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extraction issues

P

Paige2018

Hello all! I am really hoping that a dentist or someone can help me and shed some light on my issue.
A week ago today, I had extractions of both #2 and #31 and avelotar (sp-?) on upper left for preparation for a partial denture. Have had pain that has got better, and also gotten worse depending on the day.
I was back for a follow up Monday and was told that they cannot tell if it is dry socket due to the fact that they stitched up the gums over the socket to help with healing. The only way they can tell is if they go and cut open the gums, which will start all of the healing over again. Both the oral surgeon and the assistant both say that is not a Good indicator of dry socket since the pain is not constant, and it comes and goes. When I went back for another follow up today, the assistant removed a couple of the stitches, and there was a lot of pain when she removed them and I can still see stitches and what looks to be knots of the stitches material poking up from the gum in a couple of areas.
I have a couple of questions....
1. why would removing stitches caused a lot of pain in my mouth and up into my ear.
2. When can I expect to be fully pain-free?
3. What would you do in regards to opening the gum tissue to see if it is dry socket? They were not wanting to do that because the pain is not constant as it would be with dry socket, but I do you not think that I should be still having pain a week out from surgery
4. Any reassurance you could provide would be greatly appreciated, because I cannot keep feeling like this. I have had four teeth extracted in the last 2 1/2 months. The first one extracted no problem healed well. The second one simple extraction got dry socket and had packing for 2.5 weeks, the third and fourth one extracted, #2 is not fully healed but they say that it looks like it is healing well, #31 is still causing problems.
Thank you for any help or suggestions and support you can provide. Please feel free to ask any questions for clarification if my post does not make complete sense.

p.s. I am including a Panno x-ray that was taken this Monday almost a week, Chi two days, from the extraction to see if anyone can see if there is dry socket on my lower right where the extraction of #31 was doneFF06902D-9496-487A-9102-F19A0C041625.jpegFF06902D-9496-487A-9102-F19A0C041625.jpeg

Hi Paige, I sadly can't give any advice, but at least wanted to send a virtual hug and will be keeping my fingers crossed for you to recover soon. Hope one of our forum dentists reply soon and independently of that hope your pain gets better. Having a dentist and getting treatment and then still not having solutions and clear answers sounds very upsetting.

Sorry, it's almost impossible to answer your questions without examining you.
If you think the assistant has missed some sutures then you need to go back and get checked again.
I think a dry socket is very unlikely as your symptoms don't fit very well.

Back