• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extraction iv sedation help!

M

mayze

I haven’t been to dentist for about 20 years prior to a couple of months ago. I have been ignoring a broken tooth and bleeding gums for a long long time and decided enough was enough. Long story short i am going in for iv sedation tomorrow morning at 11 to have bottom molar out and 3/4 filings. Looking for support as i struggle with anxiety anyway and am terrified of dentists and needles!

Last edited:
I also have anxiety and I’ve had twilight sedation many times. Honestly, it’s the best thing for my anxiety. The worst part for me is the rubber band on my arm because I am super squeamish about blood and anything related. I have them give me laughing gas first so I’m calm for the needle. I have also tried fighting the sedation but I always fall asleep. When I wake up I’m drowsy and calm. Some things I’ve been sedated for I didn’t have to be, but it’s better for me and the doctor to be knocked out. Ask any questions, I’m happy to answer them. I’ve had it done about 10 times now.

Mayze,

Hope all goes well for you and as scary as it is that they show you good care and help with creating a feeling a compassion and good care!! let us know how it goes! and really good for going after all this time!! This is huge!

Mayze, you will do great! I had my wisdom tooth removed two days ago with twilight anesthesia. I can't stress enough how anxious I was about it, but it went great, and I could do it over a million times! If I can get through it ANYONE can. Here's the link to my post about the experience https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/forum/showthread.php?40844-Another-wizzie-SUCCESS-story-if-I-can-do-it-anyone-can%21

Good luck!

I hope it all goes well just trust your dentist and know that you are in safe hands. Someone on here mentioned breathing techniques such as holding your breath on 4 and releasing on 8 that seemed to help me a lot so you could always try something like that if it helped. Keep us updated and I will be thinking if you today

Thank you everyone for your replies. I am quite nervous but think it’s more the unknown and i’m scared i won’t fall asleep/il feel it all but not be able to tell them! I just want it over with i already cancelled it once x

Someone on here mentioned breathing techniques such as holding your breath on 4 and releasing on 8 that seemed to help me a lot so you could always try something like that if it helped

Breathing in on 4, holding breath on 4 and slooooowly releasing on 8. It's a technique I learned from Mike Gow and it's miraculous (also for speeches, job interviews or anxiety about anything) :)

Kepping my fingers crossed for you today, mayze, you are doing an amazing and courageous thing and I know you will be fine. There have been so many posts of people afraid before getting iv sedation and they all came back happy about being able to get the treatment. You got this!

Let us know how it went.

I have been super nauseous and panicky this morning (not helped by 6.30 wake up by daughter). She’s now at school and i’ve given in and taken a propranolol, this is the first time i’ve taken one since being prescribed them by doctors. Dentist said i’m ok to have them so i thought it may make this mornings wait a little easier.

I did it! The wait was the worst bit but the breathing technique helped so thank you. Literally went in had cannula put in and within seconds was gone and next think i knew i was in wheelchair in recovery room. The numbness feels horrid and i’m super dozy but glad it’s over just gotta look after the hole now. Thanks everyone for your encouragement

Amazing to read this, very well done, mayze! :jump::jump::jump:
Give yourself a huge pat on the back and recover soon!

Thank you got to go back for rest of the work but not worried about doing it again. Just wish i’d took the plunge before!

Back