• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extraction Pain - Should I be Worried?

D

doits

So I had 3 teeth removed on Friday, 2 bottom right and one upper top. I hadn't been to the dentist in years before last year, and had a big problem with an abcess that swole my face up to a melon (hurt like heck haha) . After having these teeth out, I have pain in the single upper left (not the tooth I had the abcess on). Should I be worried about this? I'm pretty nervous about getting something like a dry socket or infection. I dont see any puss coming out of it, and I don't have a bad taste in my mouth/ bad breathe, if anything my mouth just tastes of saliva, except stronger. I'm still not comfortable enough to eat solid foods, so I've been living off mash potato.

The dentist when removing the tooth did have to yank and wobble it about a lot, he said it was quite stuck in. However, he also said afterwards that "everything had gone really well".

Should I make another appointment, or is this pain to be expected? I've been keeping it at bay with painkillers, and it doesn't seem to be getting worse, but it doesn't seem to be getting better either.

Thanks!

-doits

Hello doits,
I just had one wisdom tooth out on Jan 16th..It was a difficult extraction so I knew it would be painful..It kept getting more and more painful so I finally went to the dentist on the 31st of Jan. He said i had dry socket..From what I had read dry socket is within 72 hours or less and doesn't respond to pain killers..I developed my dry socket at least a week after! And the pain wasn't quite so bad with pain killers..So if you are worried just call the dentist and ask if he can just look at it...I didn't have any pus or bad taste in my mouth..So i quess every person is different...Just don't wait to go see him..It's not worth the horrible pain..Lol.Better safe than sorry...

Hi,

There is a chance that due to the extraction a bit of the infection has spread around the neighboring tissues.

If your general feeling is OK than you should wait a few more days and let your body heal itself. If you feel sick and malaise than I would recommend an antibiotics.

all the best:)

Hi,

There is a chance that due to the extraction a bit of the infection has spread around the neighboring tissues.

If your general feeling is OK than you should wait a few more days and let your body heal itself. If you feel sick and malaise than I would recommend an antibiotics.

all the best:)

Thankyou for the information! How long should I be looking at till it will stop feeling uncomfortable? Its like an annoying throbbing pain always there, but its pain I can handle if that makes sense? It's not unbearable, just really annoying haha!

I've been doing soft rinsing with corsodyl like the dentist told me, is there anything else I can do to promotoe healing? Its quite tricky to brush since I had the teeth out on both sides, but I've done as much as I feel comfortable with.

I've been doing soft rinsing with corsodyl like the dentist told me, is there anything else I can do to promotoe healing?

The corsodyl is great but dont use it too long.

You can also do salt water rinses as often as you can and for as long as you want they will not do any harm to your teeth.

I think by now you will be feeling a bit better. :)

Back