• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extraction & Proprananol

E

Emerald1

I am due to have a molar extracted on Friday and I have spent all week becoming very anxious about it.
I have some Proprananol which I use occasionally for very stressful situations...
I am wondering if it is okay to take some prior to my appointment just to calm me down and get me in to the dentist's chair?
I have read up about dry socket which concerns me and I am also worried possibly the proprananol might impede the blood from clotting in the extraction site.
I cannot ask my dentist as he is not in the surgery again until the day of my visit. TIA

Hi Emerald1

I hope you get some kind of answer, maybe check with your GP, or pharmacist if nothing else ?

Thank you for your response :)
I have managed to get an answer from another dentist at the practice and unfortunately I have been told proprananol will intefere with the treatment. Not the news I was hoping to hear so I will just have to be brave as at the moment the thought is making me feel sick.

Sorry to read you haven't got the news you hoped for. I was wondering whether you were offered other options - your dentist may be able to prescribe you something that may help you feel less nervous on that day?

Thank you but as time was running out I had to 'face the fear' o_O
Dentist was brisk and efficient o_Oo_O certainly not the most pleasants of situations to find oneself in as a nervous patient.
Diagnosed abscess over the phone...and as soon as I sat in the dentist chair he whipped out his injection. I actually had to stop him as I was so shocked by the suddeness.
Molar extracted a few minutes later and despite several uncomfortable injections I was not convinced I was numb enough and was terrified of feeling pain.
In and out in 15 minutes and although glad it is over and praying for no dry socket but I will be looking for a much more sympathetic dentist.

Emerald1,

Wow..

"Diagnosed abscess over the phone...and as soon as I sat in the dentist chair he whipped out his injection. I actually had to stop him as I was so shocked by the suddeness. "

Sounds like a bit of a shock to the system.. yes, I would be shocked by the suddenness too and need to say hold on just a min there while I ready my thoughts and body for this... eeks. sorry the shots were painful too.. :frantic::frantic:

:grouphug: Glad you are done and hope that your recovery goes well and no dry socket! Glad to hear you will be looking for a more sympathetic dentist next time..

Thank you.

A good morning...how are you? Would have been a start.

Not sit down...open your mouth with the injection ready in his hand o_Oo_O
I put my hand up to stop him as I was so shocked and said give me a minute....

Yes I had agreed via a phone conversation to have the molar removed due to covid -19, but I actually had to ask the question whilst the anaesthetic was working as to ' whether this is an abscess?'

He obviously wanted me out of the clinic as quickly as possible but after trying to be brave this has been a real set back and made my fear even worse.

Mine is a similar story to a lot of people on here I imagine. Bad experiences as a child with school dentists, lack of dental care as a child etc. This is one reason I am very pround to have 2 grown up children who have never had a filling...I made sure that they looked after their dental health.

The important thing now is a smooth recovery, I slept a lot yesterday as I think it was the result of the build up of stress and feeling traumatised.

I think actually that appt would take me a bit to process. wow..

"he obviously wanted me out of the clinic as quickly as possible but after trying to be brave this has been a real set back and made my fear even worse. "

This is definately NOT a good feeling , I hate it.. talk about amping up anxiety, that rush feeling is just not good for anxious or well any patient!

Hope you can do something extra kind for yourself today !:grouphug:

Wow, sorry to read about your experience. This is in sync with my impression of them simply saying "no, you can't take propranolol because it interferes with the treatment." and hang up instead of focusing on the fact why you need the propranolol in the first place and how they could serve you with something else.

Hope you can find some nicer, more caring dentist next time, there are few excellent ones in England (we have some recommendations here)!

Wishing you a speedy recovery! :clover:

You definitely need to find a dentist with a different bedside manner. I hate situations like that with dentists and doctors. They don’t listen, have their own agenda (which they don’t share with you), make you feel like an object. It’s totally dehumanizing and very difficult for us nervous patients to deal with. I freeze, go compliant and really struggle to say what I want. At least you stopped him at the beginning.
I hope you’re feeling better and can process the whole procedure. I also hope there are other, more sensitive dentists in your area.

You have put it so succinctly.

Exactly...telling them you are very nervous...but they do not listen and get on with the job as if you are an object.
I did raise my hand across my face on more occasions to stop him having access to my mouth..as he was coming towards me with the pliers o_O and when I felt my mouth was not numb enough o_Oo_O I really needed a bit of time to prepare myself.

Perhaps you should never trust a dentist when he refuses to use numbing gel before administering injections. The result is they have a patient who is slightly more relaxed and could make the whole procedure easier.

You have put it so succinctly.

Exactly...telling them you are very nervous...but they do not listen and get on with the job as if you are an object.
I did raise my hand across my face on more occasions to stop him having access to my mouth..as he was coming towards me with the pliers o_O and when I felt my mouth was not numb enough o_Oo_O I really needed a bit of time to prepare myself.

Perhaps you should never trust a dentist when he refuses to use numbing gel before administering injections. The result is they have a patient who is slightly more relaxed and could make the whole procedure easier.
If you asked for numbing gel and they refused that is really not on. You’re in charge, it’s your body and they are providing a service (and helping us, of course). Was it an NHS service, or private? I think NHS dentists are under pressure financially and time-wise, which might explain his behaviour.
When I read things like this I am so grateful that I live in Germany (despite being British). I’ve got about 6 dentists within walking distance (only had experience with 2, so I still have options if my current one doesn’t make the mark - but I’m pretty sure he will!) and have never had a bad experience with a German dentist. The same with doctors, some don’t listen and that drives me up the wall. These are my symptoms, I’ve been living with them, I’ve been thinking about them, please take them seriously, I am not a hypochondriac (rather the opposite!), so I am here for a reason and it’s not to steal their time, but because I need help. So please help and don’t demean me!
Sorry, rant over!

Back