• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

extraction site very sore

D

dknichols97

Hi I had my upper back teeth removed a week ago today. I noticed one of my stiches fell out today. When I rinse my mouth, I comes out my nose and I can feel it in the back of my throat. I am worried about dry socket, can someone help me??

Hi I had my upper back teeth removed a week ago today. I noticed one of my stiches fell out today. When I rinse my mouth, I comes out my nose and I can feel it in the back of my throat. I am worried about dry socket, can someone help me??
What comes out of your nose?

Go back to your dentist as soon as you can.

I have been in the dental field for over 28 years and 10 of those years I was in oral surgery. It does not sound like dry socket. You would have felt extreme pain before now. The fact that the extracted teeth are uppers, makes it less likely that you have dry socket. It sounds like the teeth that were taken out were probably too close to the sinus, that's why you feel drainage in the back of your throat and liquid is coming out of your nose. It is very important that you return to your dentist with these symptoms. The sinus could become infected and it certainly needs to be addressed.

Back