• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extraction Success

A

AbeLinkedIn

I'm posting this as a means to help calm the nerves of anyone who has an extraction coming soon or have ever had anxiety over the procedure. I used to be one of you, and in a way I'm still apprehensive over the aftercare, but let me tell you the actual procedure is a walk in the park.

I was immediately greeted by my dentist's nurses who took my x-ray and gave me some dentist strength Listerine to sanitize with. As the soulful tone of Boy George and Culture Club played in the exam room, I chatted with the nurses who were setting up and got constant reassurance that it'd be a piece of cake and I honestly made the right move getting my abscessed molar taken out. They made me feel at ease and honestly brave for going through with it.

Then the dentist himself came in and began to numb me up, making some conversation in the meanwhile as it took effect. He personally told me that I came a long way in terms of dental anxiety, since I didn't even need laughing gas like I thought I would. After a few more minutes once I was good and numb, they went to work, telling me I should only feel pressure. I felt pressure, and before I knew it, I was biting on some gauze and I was done. Just a bit of pressure, maybe an odd sound or two, but no drilling needed.

They gave me some literature about aftercare, prescribed me some painkillers and antibiotics, and told me to floss more. They couldn't be friendlier and even let me keep the tooth they pulled and yeah, looking at it, no wonder pulling it was a good idea. The only thing I have to stay vigilant on is dry socket, so no smoking (I don't smoke), no straws (I don't drink from straws), and abstain from hot foods for a day or two and the big takeaway was that I can go at my own pace after a couple of days. No rinsing the first day but it's encouraged after 24 hours. It all depends on my comfort levels. They didn't even say I needed an implant

So really it's not the gargantuan ordeal I conjured up in my head. I hope this story inspires you all to not be afraid and if you need work done, I encourage you to do it, of course Covid notwithstanding.

:perfect:
Abelinkedin

So glad to hear this!!! This is such a great success story!! :welldone::friends::wow::dance2:

Hope you get some good sleep tonight and are able to eat alot of good soft food and take good care of yourself. Hope it helps up well and fast!

Back