• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extraction today having panic attacks with the partial

J

Jo huckridge

Have had an easy extraction this morning of an upper canine with a partial one tooth denture due to bone loss . I am finding it hellish my gagging reflex is awful and I am feeling very panicky with it in . It feels huge in my mouth .How long after extraction can you have implants I don't think I am going to tolerate it .Will it affect my chances of an implant if I don't wear the partial .thanks in advance ???ps any advice regarding getting used to partial much appreciated ?

Last edited:
Yours is a common reaction. Your brain is confused about the foreign thing in your mouth. It's common for it trigger excess saliva and a gassy stomach, as well as triggering some people's gag reflex.

It's a period of adjustment. I remember feeling like I'd never get used to full dentures, but now I don't even notice them. They feel like a part of me!

Hard-boiled candy (sugarfree if possible) is a good thing to eat with it in, it can help the gag reflex and salivation problems. That and distracting yourself as much as possible so your brain isn't entirely focused on it. It's a process and it takes time. :)

Yours is a common reaction. Your brain is confused about the foreign thing in your mouth. It's common for it trigger excess saliva and a gassy stomach, as well as triggering some people's gag reflex.

It's a period of adjustment. I remember feeling like I'd never get used to full dentures, but now I don't even notice them. They feel like a part of me!

Hard-boiled candy (sugarfree if possible) is a good thing to eat with it in, it can help the gag reflex and salivation problems. That and distracting yourself as much as possible so your brain isn't entirely focused on it. It's a process and it takes time. :)

Thanks for reply think am still in shock tbh and the plate Just for one tooth feels huge
Will try the sweets
I have been so depressed today it plays on the mind
Dreading going back to work too ?
Praying it gets more tolerable

It's common to feel depressed over it too! But you'd be surprised how good humans are at adjusting, even when we originally feel "I'll never get over this".

Be kind to yourself. Practice good self-care, make sure you're eating enough (if your extraction site is still healing, you can supplement your diet with milkshakes and protein shakes to keep your energy up). Watch your favourite movie, listen to your favourite music, that sort of thing. Don't pressure yourself to get used to the partial *right now* because you need some time, it's a process. Maybe while you're relaxing, you can keep it near, put it in for as long as you can bear it, then take it out when it bothers you too much. And just breathe, don't panic about it.

Funnily enough, it probably won't bother you at work or when you're out and about. When you're at home with not much else to focus on, it's harder to adjust to, but when you're super busy and concentrating on all these different things, your brain prioritises everything else and you belatedly realise you'd forgotten about the situation in your mouth. :)

It's common to feel depressed over it too! But you'd be surprised how good humans are at adjusting, even when we originally feel "I'll never get over this".

Be kind to yourself. Practice good self-care, make sure you're eating enough (if your extraction site is still healing, you can supplement your diet with milkshakes and protein shakes to keep your energy up). Watch your favourite movie, listen to your favourite music, that sort of thing. Don't pressure yourself to get used to the partial *right now* because you need some time, it's a process. Maybe while you're relaxing, you can keep it near, put it in for as long as you can bear it, then take it out when it bothers you too much. And just breathe, don't panic about it.

Funnily enough, it probably won't bother you at work or when you're out and about. When you're at home with not much else to focus on, it's harder to adjust to, but when you're super busy and concentrating on all these different things, your brain prioritises everything else and you belatedly realise you'd forgotten about the situation in your mouth. :)

Thank you for the reply really appreciated ?

Back