• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extraction tomorrow and general irrational fears

J

jasmith

Hi guys,

I've been watching this forum for a while now, only now have got the courage to register and hopefully some nice people can give me some reassurances.

I'm going to the dentist tomorrow, I'm having a molar on my top left side extracted, not entirely sure which tooth number it is but it is the one of the big teeth molars near the back.

Anyway this tooth has had a history of problems, started with a simple filling about 9 years a go, which immediately failed about 4 months later, was in immense pain and had to have root canal on the tooth. The filling procedure was simple and 100% painless the root canal procedure wasn't painful per-say but it was quite uncomfortable at times, I guess just because I was nervous and it was taking a long time to complete I began to feel restless, regardless, I survived.

Anyway about 7 years later (18 months a go now) the same tooth has cracked and broken quite badly. I was a student at the time and pretty broke plus still very apprehensive about the dentist, I hadn't been since my last visit all that time a go. So I put it off going.. this was my first mistake. The tooth broke again and eventually the filling fell out leaving an ugly hole and I guess the root was exposed? Anyway I have finally worked up the courage to see a dentist as I knew it was never going to get better and I was being to feel slightly twinges of pain.

The dentist took an x-ray and it apparently showed a bad infection, I was given amoxicillin? And told to take the course, I am now on the eve of my extraction of this tooth and I am pretty terrified. I've read a number of posts on here talking about having teeth out and how it is really isn't that bad and doesn't even take that long.

My first question is, as this tooth has had a failed root canal treatment, will the extraction take longer? Will the extraction be more complicated? Will the extraction be any different from a normal tooth extraction? Will I even feel any real pressure or pain because of the already completed root canal treatment?

My second question is more about the after effects. So I have to have this tooth out, it cannot be saved the dentist said, the time for that has come and gone and the amount of missing tooth is massive, it's probably about 50% gone. I understand that when you have a gap in your mouth your other teeth in the area begin to move as a consequence if the tooth isn't replaced? Is this likely to happen as a result of a large gap appearing? I know it wont happen overnight but how long do I reasonably have after an extraction to put a bridge or something in it's place? I've read 6 months is the normal healing time for an extraction site, should I be looking to do it in around 6 months time? Or should I be acting sooner? I am very keen to grasp the nettle now and save myself any future problems. Also I feel as if it's quite an important tooth for chewing and not replacing it will only put increased pressure on my other teeth.

It's been quite a traumatic few days for me, I have been frantically searching for answers. I am scared, no two ways about it. But I also know leaving the tooth as it is is only going to make everything worse. I know this isn't the 50s or 60s when dentistry was a lot more harsh but it doesn't remove the fact that the smells, needles and noises don't scare me all the same.

Sorry for the massive post, I hope you have gotten the end of it.

Sorry I don't have any info or advice for you - but I read your post and noticed no one has replied yet, which can be discouraging. So I Just wanted to offer a word of personal support and let you know someone is paying attention and wishing you well. Sorry it's been so traumatic but hopefully this will all go smoothly and the worst is behind you. Hope you'll give an update after your procedure tomorrow. Peaceful thoughts...

Hi
I just wanted to say that I'm having the same thing as you done tomorrow, large left root filled molar being removed, the only difference is I've already had the two teeth next to it removed - about 2 years ago - I hope to have an implant in a few months, finances permitting, and then be able to wear the bridge I have for the current 2 missing teeth that I haven't been able to wear for months due to the infection. Good luck - I'm sure we will both be fine! Let me know how you get on! Vicky ??

Hi guys,

I've been watching this forum for a while now, only now have got the courage to register and hopefully some nice people can give me some reassurances.

I'm going to the dentist tomorrow, I'm having a molar on my top left side extracted, not entirely sure which tooth number it is but it is the one of the big teeth molars near the back.

Anyway this tooth has had a history of problems, started with a simple filling about 9 years a go, which immediately failed about 4 months later, was in immense pain and had to have root canal on the tooth. The filling procedure was simple and 100% painless the root canal procedure wasn't painful per-say but it was quite uncomfortable at times, I guess just because I was nervous and it was taking a long time to complete I began to feel restless, regardless, I survived.

Anyway about 7 years later (18 months a go now) the same tooth has cracked and broken quite badly. I was a student at the time and pretty broke plus still very apprehensive about the dentist, I hadn't been since my last visit all that time a go. So I put it off going.. this was my first mistake. The tooth broke again and eventually the filling fell out leaving an ugly hole and I guess the root was exposed? Anyway I have finally worked up the courage to see a dentist as I knew it was never going to get better and I was being to feel slightly twinges of pain.

The dentist took an x-ray and it apparently showed a bad infection, I was given amoxicillin? And told to take the course, I am now on the eve of my extraction of this tooth and I am pretty terrified. I've read a number of posts on here talking about having teeth out and how it is really isn't that bad and doesn't even take that long.

My first question is, as this tooth has had a failed root canal treatment, will the extraction take longer? Will the extraction be more complicated? Will the extraction be any different from a normal tooth extraction? Will I even feel any real pressure or pain because of the already completed root canal treatment?

My second question is more about the after effects. So I have to have this tooth out, it cannot be saved the dentist said, the time for that has come and gone and the amount of missing tooth is massive, it's probably about 50% gone. I understand that when you have a gap in your mouth your other teeth in the area begin to move as a consequence if the tooth isn't replaced? Is this likely to happen as a result of a large gap appearing? I know it wont happen overnight but how long do I reasonably have after an extraction to put a bridge or something in it's place? I've read 6 months is the normal healing time for an extraction site, should I be looking to do it in around 6 months time? Or should I be acting sooner? I am very keen to grasp the nettle now and save myself any future problems. Also I feel as if it's quite an important tooth for chewing and not replacing it will only put increased pressure on my other teeth.

It's been quite a traumatic few days for me, I have been frantically searching for answers. I am scared, no two ways about it. But I also know leaving the tooth as it is is only going to make everything worse. I know this isn't the 50s or 60s when dentistry was a lot more harsh but it doesn't remove the fact that the smells, needles and noises don't scare me all the same.

Sorry for the massive post, I hope you have gotten the end of it.

Thank you for Oneby for your reply and support and thank you Vicky for your support. I guess having a tooth pulled it something you never get used to, regardless, I wish you all the best with your extraction too.. it's going to suck for sure.. but it will be worse to not get it removed, that is all that keeps me from cancelling the appointment. Good luck!

An update for any interested.

The process was very simple, slight prick from the needle that made my mouth feel very warm and tingly, the removing of the tooth was slightly prolonged due to having to remove 3 roots first, there was absolutely no pain during this however there was some quite large amounts of pressure which felt a little unconformable, but like many others will tell you, it's not nearly as bed as you might think.

I am in quite a bit of pain currently do feel quite sore but painkillers and an icepack are helping a little, I look forward to a time in a few weeks when this will feel all better!

My update too - all went well but tooth didn't want to come out and took 35 minutes to get it out! Feeling quite bruised but felt very calm whilst it was all happening, hopefully get a good nights sleep tonight and it will feel much better tomorrow. I got a gold star sticker for being brave! ⭐

Glad that both of your extractions seemed to go reasonably well. So glad to have it done and over. Just get through the soreness now.

Glad everything went well. I am 2 weeks post extraction of a right molar and everything is going well. Slightly tender if I press against my cheek where the extraction site is but otherwise I forget most of the time. The pain lasted maybe a week or less. I took Ibuprofen 600 for 4 or 5 days after but then I didn't need it anymore.

I dont know anything about teeth moving though? My dentist never mentioned that to me.

Hope your recovery goes well!!

Oh and my extraction was three roots too.

Hows everyone doing, just read this.. I hope its all going well and healing well!!

Back