• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extraction

T

Tracey81

Hi
I’ve got four broken teeth that are getting removed Tuesday. All broken near the gum line. I’m getting dentures to fill those gaps afterwards. In the couple of weeks it will take for the dentures, will my face noticeably change with four missing teeth? I was thinking not as they have already broken low down anyway. They are at the sides and back, not near the front.

No. Any changes after extractions take years to show up.

Thankyou. So will the dentures prevent that change as long as I consistently wear them and will it also keep the rest of my teeth from shifting?

Yes they'll prevent other teeth from shifting but the other stuff is pretty complicated, depends on loads of different factors, your age, your sex, what teeth are involved and so on, so it's hard to be specific without knowing you.
Suffice it to say though, that any actual changes will be so subtle as to be almost un-noticeable to anyone looking at you apart from the odd dentist.

It’s one at either side at the middle back lower and two at the middle on one side upper. You can’t actually see them when I smile I was just worried about the change in structure in the couple of weeks waiting for the dentures. Is there anything they can do temp whilst waiting for the dentures?

Nope, there won't really be any noticeable change in your appearance with those extractions and there's nothing you can do about it.

Ok thankyou. One more thing do you know how long I have to wait before I have the dentures fitted?

Depends, ideally you'd have wanted the dentures already made to fit immediately, but since you've not, then I'd wait about 6 weeks for the early healing phase to get done.

Back