• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extractions, including wisdoms at 41!

S

Scaredbutready

Hi all!
I recently started going back to the dentist after 20 years. While I’m so glad I finally gathered the courage to go through that door, I’m scared of what lies ahead. in The plan laid out for me I need multiple extractions, including my wisdom teeth. I’m so scared at my age. Is this truly necessary if they do not bother me at all? I’m worried about recovery as I work six days a week and can’t get anymore time off. One lower is impacted, another erupted. And also with my other extractions, on the top right only my first four teeth will remain. do I have options rather than denture or implants without other teeth on both sides to anchor to? Is a bridge out if the question? My dentist said we’d decide restoration later when my fillings are done as well as the extractions. But I’m so curious. I dont ever think I’d be able to afford implants for the whole side. On a positive note if anyone has been putting off going, I can honestly say the hardest part is going. Find a dentist that treats you with the care you need and deserve. It does get easier, I only wish I had done it sooner. thanks for any insight.

Hi,

I believe that in order to choose for an extraction, there should be a reason/indication. I also believe that patients can understand these reasons when explained with the x Ray. Bottom line: ask your dentist to explain.
naturally, you can ask for a second opinion. In fact, perhaps you don’t need to visit a dentist for a second opinion, just share your x rays.

Back