• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extractions, then a flipper, then a bridge... QUESTIONS!

T

TXMommy06

So, I shouldn't have neglected my dental visits. Apparently, gum disease has left me with pretty much no bone supporting my lower center teeth. The 2 center ones. I was in shock at the dental office...
:o
So, what we'll have to do, is extract them, then I'll wear a flipper for 2 months, let the gums heal. The 2 teeth next to the extracted ones are weak, or something to that nature, so the dentist wants to get them stronger, somehow, and THEN I'll get the bridge. I freaked out about the flipper, but after doing some research, I feel better about it. Will I look terrible? I mean, I'm a teacher, and I work with so many people. I'm self conscious as it is...
My questions:
How many teeth can be replaced in a bridge, and is it even possible to replace 2 that are next to one another? I know that crowns will have to be put on my existing teeth, right? How will it all LOOK when it's complete?
What else will me dentist have to do to my existing teeth to make them OK for the bridge? She said 2 months with the flipper, so I'm just wondering what all it could involve?
I also have to have xrays of the rest of my mouth done, and I am praying that I don't have more extractions coming... at least not now.
I'm really upset, as I'm only 29. She asked if it runs in my family, because it looked very aggressive, and I'm adopted, so I don't know.

Someone tell me I'm not alone!! I am scared to death of all of this. I cried and cried in the parking lot!

Three months wait for a bridge? That's odd.

Well, she said that she could put the bridge in now, but if she did, the teeth that she'd attach it to may not hold it for longer than a year or so, so she wants to make sure they are stable first.

Well, she said that she could put the bridge in now, but if she did, the teeth that she'd attach it to may not hold it for longer than a year or so, so she wants to make sure they are stable first.

Oh, your adjacent teeth are affected by periodontal disease as well?
I see. I had 2 front lowers removed too, due to an abscess after a root canal. I just got a valplast partial. I'm trying to save up for implants. (Trying being the key word LOL) I'm only 32, so you're not alone with dental issues at a young age!

If you are a smoker, you should really try to stop. It's a big cause of perio, especially in front teeth. I had too also.

The final bridges always look reallllllly nice. I have one on top.

The flipper is hard to get used to. If you can't get used to it, you can ask for a regular partial instead if you have the extra money.

I cried about my teeth too. And I'm a guy, LOL. It really is harder to deal with than people realize.

Last edited:
You may want to get a second opinion from a periodontist before you let anyone extract your teeth, procedures like guided tissue regeneration or osseous surgery may help you, especially since you are so young. I would go anyway if your gum disease is that aggressive and have the peace of mind that there are no other options.

Bone grafts and then implants would also be a good choice if you can afford it, and if planned the bone grafts may be able to be done when they extract the teeth. I would explore that before damage is done to your adjacent teeth- they will be ground down significantly and permanently for the bridge to be attached.

If you decide the bridge is your only option- I have a six unit temp bridge on top front that looks much better than my natural teeth, so when I get the permanent crowns/bridge it should look even better. I opted out of getting a flipper, didn't want anything removable in my mouth to replace a missing front tooth and I'm denture phobic. So the first plastic looking temp was done at the time of extracting one of those teeth, I switched dentists then and the second set of temps is a longer lasting "wax" model that cost about $200 per tooth but well worth it. Not telling which tooth is missing. I did the bridge because all of my teeth have had root canals, I had a huge gap and my teeth are mobile (loose) due to bite issues.

good luck,

rp

Well, the flipper would be for 2 months. I can barely afford the bridge, much less implants. There is no bone at all around the 2 teeth... I know I wouldn't be able to afford the grafts and implants together. There's just know way.
I am denture phobic, too, but I can't do the immediate bridge until the other adjacent teeth are strong enough to hold the bridge. I know implants are a better option, but at this point, there's no way. If I ever DO come into that kind of money, I will probably have the bridge removed, and implants done on all four teeth. Doubtful that will ever happen, though.

Oh, your adjacent teeth are affected by periodontal disease as well?
I see. I had 2 front lowers removed too, due to an abscess after a root canal. I just got a valplast partial. I'm trying to save up for implants. (Trying being the key word LOL) I'm only 32, so you're not alone with dental issues at a young age!

If you are a smoker, you should really try to stop. It's a big cause of perio, especially in front teeth. I had too also.

The final bridges always look reallllllly nice. I have one on top.

The flipper is hard to get used to. If you can't get used to it, you can ask for a regular partial instead if you have the extra money.

I cried about my teeth too. And I'm a guy, LOL. It really is harder to deal with than people realize.

I don't smoke. The dentist said it looks like I have very aggressive periodontal disease, and that it's probably hereditary. I am adopted, so I don't know whether it is or not.

Why is the flipper hard to get used to?

Back