• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extractions visit 06.04

M

mcredding

Pain stopped again during the pandemic, so I waited until I couldn't bear it anymore. Had a video visit last Fr. Dentist then had me come to take an x-ray & so that they could get a better, up-close look at the teeth that are hurting...That was on Tues. Good thing I went to that - the dentist took a look at my jaw & noted that infection was "dangerously close" to affecting the jaw. My county still has dentists only allowed to see people on an emergency basis, but since the dentist decided that extraction cannot wait, I have an appt to remove 2 teeth & finally get some relief.

Nervous about post-operative pain. Usually, I end up taking stronger painkillers a couple times but the last time I had a tooth extraction - with my current dental clinic - it was the first & only time where I didn't have any pain at all, post-extraction. I hope this appt turns out like the last extraction appt, with pain thereafter being very minimal instead of making wish I could just give myself a dental block...because I can't stand being pumped full of pills & wish I could just get by without ever having to take a pill...of any kind. They're not fun.

Last edited:
I feel ya. I just had 6 extractions on Monday and the painkillers while effective were no fun for me. I did not like how they made me feel at all. I used them for two days and then I switched to regular over the counter Advil and Tylenol. I can handle any pain from this point I believe. Good luck with your extractions. I’m sure you will do great.

I feel ya. I just had 6 extractions on Monday and the painkillers while effective were no fun for me. I did not like how they made me feel at all. I used them for two days and then I switched to regular over the counter Advil and Tylenol. I can handle any pain from this point I believe. Good luck with your extractions. I’m sure you will do great.

Thanks. I've got Advil & Tylenol for now. But when the pain's really bad I just put an ice pack on my cheek until my face goes numb so that I can sleep...& then I just sleep with the ice pack still on my cheek. I know I'm not supposed to do that but I can't feel the pain once the face goes numb.

An adjacent tooth was gouged during the extraction. I know that's just a risk you have to take, & wouldn't be surprised if it already had deep decay to begin with, but that's where I'm at now. The good part is that the post-operative pain I braced for has been thoroughly manageable with Tylenol & Motrin so I don't have to worry about having to use anything stronger than that.

Back