• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extreme dental phobia and having gum surgery tomorrow!

L

louise123

My teeth are fairly crooked and have been pushed out of place by hyperplasia (overgrowth of gum) at the top of my mouth at the very front, plus I have a tooth thats very out of place. Im having a procedure tomrrow to scrape away the excess gum with a wire!!! I may also need the out of place tooth removed! Ive only recently went back to the dentist after 10 years, im 26 now and had last went until recently when I was 16.

3 months ago I had a filling (which is a huge deal for me). I had it under conscious sedation which worked fab, after they injected me there was kind of a drunk floaty feeling and I dont remember anyting till I was being helped out of the dentists chair. I am literally so phobic of the dentist that I shake when going in, and can hardly breathe and that is for a check up when I know nothing will be done!

I have no idea how will cope tomorrow!! Also, my dental phobia is part of a wider medical phobia, so the thought of anything invasisve like this fills me with horror!!
Im sooo scared about the recovery!!

Im so scared as to how much pain il be in and for how long? Im just terrified what the healing will be like!

I may get braces in a few months aswell (though really not sure, im so phobic I can live with crooked teeth no problem!!). Horrible fixed ones, and this also fills me with horror!! I have nightmares about the look of braces! I dont just mean from an asthetic point of view I mean the look of them literally makes me shake even when I see the on someone else!

Hi Loiuse,
You have taken a great leap in the right direction, and landed in a soft place here ! I would first welcome you here to the forums ! Then tell you to relax, and take a few deep breaths. Be sure you notify your dentist about your fears, and they will work with you to keep you calm. I have no idea what to expect from the surgery you are having, as I have no experience with it myself. I can tell you to expect plenty of understanding, and support here from fellow phobics. Let your dentist know what worked best for you last time, and ask if they can give you the same anesthesia for this time. I wish you luck, and strength in your journey, and your time in the "chair" tomorrow.
Do let us know how your journey progresses.
<KZ>

Back