• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extreme Dental Phobia

WHAT PHOBIA IS STOPPING YOU FROM GETTING YOUR TEETH SORTED OUT?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
S

sharky3696

For years (since I was a teenager), I have had terrible problems with my teeth, and I am now 54. The main problem though, is not the fear of the dentist, but the fear of being sick, and whenever a dentist tries to take an impression of my teeth it causes a gag reflex and I have a panic attack and think I am going to vomit. When I was 8 years old, I was taken very ill overnight and was continually sick and had to have the doctor called out. However, since then, I have never been sick, this being down to willing myself not to be, but it does cause palpitations and panic attacks. Therefore, something in my subconscious was deeply affected on that night when I was so ill, that I didn't realise at the time. Throughout my teenage years my teeth were getting worse and worse, affecting my confidence, as well as on the odd occasion being in so much pain, that I had to have some extracted. I cannot remember when exactly, but years later (probably in my late 30's), I went to Guy's Dental Hospital in London, and managed to see a very understanding dentist, and because it was a teaching hospital, the cost of the treatment would be very minimal. I could not believe it, but after he had carried out the initial consultancy, I agreed to have 18 teeth out under general anaesthetic, and I went ahead and had them taken out. However, when I went back 2 weeks later for a check up to see how my mouth was healing, I was seen by a student, who although my mouth was still very sore, decided it would be a good idea to probe about in my mouth in a very unprofessional manner. This resulted in me having a stand up row with the student and storming out, and I never went back to sort out the rest of the work. Since then, I have two teeth at the bottom, which are decaying, no teeth at the top apart from one at the side and some around the back, and it has been like that for the last twenty or so years. I cannot smile, I have no confidence when talking to people, and overall it has made me depressed and miserable. I hope by joining this forum, that I have made the first step to finally sorting my teeth out.

I would be interested to hear from other people who have the same problem, or had the same problem, but managed to overcome their phobia, especially those with success stories, and if local, would also like to join a group if one exists that meets up on a monthly or quarterly basis to share their stories etc.

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

You are not on your own. I don't know of any groups that meet up and talk about their dental phobias but I am in the North so quite a distance from where you are.

I am also terrified of being sick and like you I have managed to avoid it for years. What a shame that you had this experience with the student, and what a shame you didn't complain to the hospital. They may have been able to sort it out both by making the student aware of where they had gone wrong and also you could have finished your treatment.

Anyway back to now as that is all in the past and can't be changed. Your first move would be to contact a dentist either by going back to the dental hospital or looking for a dental practice near to you or somewhere that you could travel to. You can do this by either phoning, emailing, writing through the post or going in person to ask if they are taking on new patients.

Explain to them how you feel and why, they will understand, dentistry has changed a lot in the years that you haven't been and they on the whole are very understanding and will listen to you and between you will come up with a plan of treatment at a pace you can cope with to get you a nice smile back and build up you confidence. If the dentist you see makes you feel uncomfortable or you feel they aren't listening then leave and find another one, until you find one you feel you can work with.

It is very different also in the fact that they will explain what treatment you need and discuss how to proceed. The first appointment is more a meet and greet session where you can explain how you feel and why and get to know them a bit and in turn they can get an understanding of your fears.
You are in charge and they will ask your permission to have a look in your mouth and maybe take an x ray, this usually will happen at the first appointment but if you can't cope on that day make another appointment and have it then. Only agree to the amount of treatment you feel you can handle in one session.
Having impressions is not so nice and they don't usually bother me but when I had some last month I did get a bit panicy and was worried that I would have a panic attack but I have a really good dentist and I was fine.

Explain to whoever you see your fear of being sick and that you gag when having impressions, I know someone that is really bad with this and they managed with the help of the dentist.

I hope this helps you a bit and that you feel able to make the first massive step to go and see a dentist.

All the best to you :butterfly:

Back