• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extreme pain during treatment

C

clare_1

I seem to be prone to dental abscesses despite being completely spot on with my dental hygeine.

a few days ago i started with another and the anti biotics didnt seem to be working so i went to have it drained. However i would not seem to go properly numb and the injections and the following treatment were excruciating as was the next few hours.

Its just settling down now but i have to go back to have a permanent filling put in and im terrified the same will happen again although it has never happened before.

the dentist did say he could seee why i had been in so much pain as it was filled with pus but like i said usually once i have been numbed i feel nothing and am fine later.

im terrified of going back now and i go on holiday in 2 weeks so dont know whether to go back before or after my holiday/

I am also terrified of needles so i have to be in agony to even get near the dentists, despite being a nurse, ha.

Please help.:(

Also does anyone have any idea why i keep getting them? my dentist is baffled. any tips on how to avoid?:redface:

The worst is hopefully over with this one, now that the dentist has got the pus out and hopefully what's left of your nerve, then the last bit of the root canal should be plain sailing.

Nurses and doctors seem to get more nasty infections, probably due to all the antiseptics floating about in your workplace, the bugs that survive are usually hardy wee buggers :)

Also does anyone have any idea why i keep getting them? my dentist is baffled. any tips on how to avoid?:redface:

Hi

I know this sounds mad...but apparently if you supplement your diet with cashew nuts, it can help to stop dental abcesses? Maybe Gordon will tell me that is 'nuts'...ha, but can't help to try.

Hope the weight gain is worth the trade off :)

Sorry, sounds nuts to me, although I do love cashew nuts. Anything that would boost your immune system a bit would help though.

Back