Extreme Phobia of dentist and needles

T

Tony555

I have amelogenesis imperfecta, (no enamel on teeth, open bite on one side and weak teeth. Had veneers and crowns several times when a child before anyone had ever heard of them. Felt like I was experimented on in dental hospital. Now not been to dentist in 15 years, except the time I ran out the room when he said extraction. Have lots of broken teeth stuck in my gums which are also receding badly and my jaw clicks now. A new tooth broke a couple days ago and is loose now I'm to scared to eat because it hurts.

I've no option but to go now and face some extensive work but my fear of dentist and needles is so much, if I think about it when I'm at home, I get emotional and cry and just feel unwell all round. I won't leave the house or even my bed most of the time. Its so embarrassing and nobody is interested in helping.

How do people get over this.

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome Tony555 👋,

So sorry to hear about your terrible experiences in the past, and about the pain you're in 😞.

It takes two to get over this - a dentist who is skilled in helping you get over your fears, as well as you finding the courage to seek help. From what you're saying, it sounds as if you've basically made up your mind that you want (or need) to take some sort of action. Are you actually in Scotland? If so, we've got a list of recommended dentists here:https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/forum/forums/scotland.37/

Some offer only private treatment, but some do offer NHS as well I think. Also, the community dental service is an NHS service, and the dentists there are trained to help people with dental phobias (and needle phobia). NHS waiting times are longer though, so if you can afford it, it makes sense to look at private options.

If you have a look around our website, we've got lots of information, including tips for getting over a phobia of the dentist, descriptions of common fears (including fear of painful injections/needle phobia) and how to tackle them, and lots more.

When you're saying that nobody is interested in helping, do you mean you've approached people and they brushed you off?

T

Tony555

Thanks for the help, Yes I'm trying to accept the fact it has to happen now. I'm in Scotland and it's hard to even find a dentist. People just act like I'm over exaggerating it or I should just get over it or its not even a real thing and brush it off, including all my previous dentists. That's why I registered to the forum.

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
Very happy to help - do let us know if you'd like us to do some searching in your area (Scotland is quite a big place!) 🙂

T

Tony555

Any help would be good. I emailed 8 dentists in my area only 1 replied telling me to phone, and its quite far away. I tried reading the links u posted but think I had a panic attack reading it and sobbed for hours after it. I can't think about it or even write on here without turning into mess

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
That's understandable, no need to push yourself if it stirs up too many bad memories 🤗 .

If you like, you can always send me a Private Message (they're called "conversations" on Xenforo). Just click or tap on my username and hit the "Start conversation" button. I can ask some of our dentist friends here if they know of anyone in your area who might be able to help. No guarantees, obviously - Scotland is a big place...

Catie McBain

Catie McBain

I've been reading your posts, and I just want to say that I completely understand how you feel. I have a horrible fear of doctors, dentists and needles, so much so that I ran from the emergency room when they wanted to do blood tests. So I can definitely understand what you're going through when you say you ran from the room when the dentist said the word extraction.

It's hard for me to visit this forum because I have such anxiety just looking through these posts. I know how you feel. There were times when I started crying and having panic attacks just from talking about my problems here. My hands would start shaking while I was typing, and I'd be crying and unable to calm down long after I stepped away from the forum.

But I stay because I want to support people like you. I want to help so you don't feel so alone. I'll tell you truth, that I have started crying and screaming while visiting the dentist because my fear is so intense. I've had panic attacks just trying to call a dentist and make an appointment, I've started crying while I was on the phone with them, and when I got off the phone I had to run to the bathroom and throw up. I actually had to hang up and run to the bedroom once because I was hyperventilating so bad I was on the verge of passing out, and then I couldn't get out of bed for a very long time.

It's nothing to be embarrassed about. It happens. It's more common than you think. On here you'll find a lot of caring and compassionate people who are willing to take the time and listen. That's one thing I can say is that the people here are very nice, and that's it's okay to go at your own pace when you are ready.

Myself, I'm not ready, even though I've needed treatment for close to ten years now. I have broken wisdom teeth that have been infected a number of times, and I've learned to live with it. I'm too afraid to do anything about it. I've accepted that. I'm okay with it. But I'm still here for others when they need someone. 💕

Last edited: