• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extreme sensitivity and pain after a bridge

I

isarcat

Hi everyone,
I'm totally terrified and I mean TERRIFIED of dentists, but I do have a good one, so I'm not sure what's happening here. I have teeth missing from both sides in my upper mouth (bad very old root canals that had to be extracted). I want to do implants on one side, but bc of the expense, decided to go with a bridge on the other. After the temporary bridge, my (anchoring) teeth were very sensitive but improved with time. I was actually able to chew soft things.
HOWEVER, it's been two weeks after the permanent bridge was put in and I'm in so much pain I have to keep popping advils and codeine. My dentist "fixed" my bite (the bridge was a bit high) but it's only helped marginally. One of my anchoring teeth was sensitive to begin with, but the other was perfectly healthy and now it's a mess. I'm waking up in the middle of the night in pain. I have to take medication all the time. Is this common? The pain went away once he froze my teeth to "fix" the bite, but now it's back. I'm at the end of my rope and I hate taking pills. Any suggestions or ideas... Please..?? :((

Thank you....
Is :confused:

Telephone your dentist, tell them what's going on and request an appointment to get it investigated.

Telephone your dentist, tell them what's going on and request an appointment to get it investigated.

I did... that's when he "fixed" my bite and his next step is a mouthguard... but he doesn't seem to know what's causing the pain and I sense he's reluctant to do anything involving removing or replacing the bridge.. he asked me to wait for 10 days to see if things improve. So far they have improved marginally but I still have to take 2-3 advils a day. I'm afraid I'm causing permanent damage somewhere by waiting, but don't know what to do. Sorry if I'm being a wimp.

You're not being a wimp, get back on the phone!

Back